AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Pick-Six is on a distinguished road

American Founding Fathers and Gun Control

All quotes below came from either signers of the Decloration, the Constitution, or both.

”A free people ought to be armed.” ~George Washington

”The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation (where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” ~James Madison

”Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples’ liberty’s teeth.” ~George Washington

”The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed.” ~Alexander Hamilton

”The congress of the United States possesses no power to regulate, or interfere with the domestic concerns, or police of any state: it belongs not to them to establish any rules respecting the rights of property; nor will the constitution permit any prohibition of arms to the people." - Saint George Tucker

"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms….The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants” ~Thomas Jefferson

”The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.” ~Patrick Henry

”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, [B]which would include their own government[/B].” ~George Washington

This quote below is an interesting quote from the "Father of the Constitution". Is there any doubt the actual purpose of the 2nd Amendment? (Hint: It ain't for hunting squirrels)

”The highest number to which, according to the best computation, a standing army can be carried in any country, does not exceed one hundredth part of the whole number of souls; or one twenty-fifth part of the number able to bear arms. This proportion would not yield, in the United States, an army of more than twenty-five or thirty thousand men. To these would be opposed a militia amounting to near half a million of citizens with arms in their hands, officered by men chosen from among themselves, fighting for their common liberties, and united and conducted by governments possessing their affections and confidence. It may well be doubted, whether a militia thus circumstanced could ever be conquered by such a proportion of regular troops.”
    ~James Madison

”No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

”I am thus far a Quaker, that I would gladly argue with all the world to lay aside the use of arms and settle matters by negotiation, but unless the whole will, the matter ends, and I take up my musket and thank Heaven He has put it in my power.”
    ~Thomas Paine

”Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    ~Benjamin Franklin

”To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

”The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

”The right of self-defense never ceases. It is among the most sacred, and alike necessary to nations and to individuals.”
    ~James Monroe

”Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense.”
    ~John Adams

[B][U]”The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
    [/U][/B]~Thomas Jefferson

”The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
    ~Samuel Adams

”The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

”Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”
    ~Benjamin Franklin

Moderator ses is on a distinguished road ses's Avatar
    I agree we have the right to bear arms but.....I was in a gun store a few days ago with my sons and brother. Everybody in there was crowded around the counter where the assault rifles and anybody buying a gun was buying one of those. I asked by brother about it (he buys lots of guns) and he said that's about all anybody buys anymore.Any time he went to a gun store that's all anybody was carrying out. These are not guns you would buy to shoot coyotes. IMO the people are ,consiously or subconsiously, preparing for war or something close to it. I'll bet this joker we have for a president has sold more assault rifles than all prior presidents combined. Now with all of the new talk about banning these kinds of guns there's no doubt in my mind the sales of are going to explode.

Senior Member glowplug is on a distinguished road
    An armed populace remains a constant reminder to those in Washington that, should they ever dare go so far as to employ the military to suppress their citizens and break those promises… You only rule by the consent of the governed.

We outnumber you vastly.

And we are armed.

This isn’t a threat.

It’s a reminder.

Senior Member 48 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Pick-Six View Post
    All quotes below came from either signers of the Decloration, the Constitution, or both.

”A free people ought to be armed.” ~George Washington

”The Constitution preserves the advantage of being armed which Americans possess over the people of almost every other nation (where) the governments are afraid to trust the people with arms.” ~James Madison

”Firearms are second only to the Constitution in importance; they are the peoples’ liberty’s teeth.” ~George Washington

”The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed.” ~Alexander Hamilton

”The congress of the United States possesses no power to regulate, or interfere with the domestic concerns, or police of any state: it belongs not to them to establish any rules respecting the rights of property; nor will the constitution permit any prohibition of arms to the people." - Saint George Tucker

"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms….The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time, with the blood of patriots and tyrants” ~Thomas Jefferson

”The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able may have a gun.” ~Patrick Henry

”A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, [B]which would include their own government[/B].” ~George Washington

This quote below is an interesting quote from the "Father of the Constitution". Is there any doubt the actual purpose of the 2nd Amendment? (Hint: It ain't for hunting squirrels)

”The highest number to which, according to the best computation, a standing army can be carried in any country, does not exceed one hundredth part of the whole number of souls; or one twenty-fifth part of the number able to bear arms. This proportion would not yield, in the United States, an army of more than twenty-five or thirty thousand men. To these would be opposed a militia amounting to near half a million of citizens with arms in their hands, officered by men chosen from among themselves, fighting for their common liberties, and united and conducted by governments possessing their affections and confidence. It may well be doubted, whether a militia thus circumstanced could ever be conquered by such a proportion of regular troops.”
    ~James Madison

”No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

”I am thus far a Quaker, that I would gladly argue with all the world to lay aside the use of arms and settle matters by negotiation, but unless the whole will, the matter ends, and I take up my musket and thank Heaven He has put it in my power.”
    ~Thomas Paine

”Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.”
    ~Benjamin Franklin

”To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.”
    ~George Mason

”The Constitution of most of our states (and of the United States) assert that all power is inherent in the people; that they may exercise it by themselves; that it is their right and duty to be at all times armed.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

”The right of self-defense never ceases. It is among the most sacred, and alike necessary to nations and to individuals.”
    ~James Monroe

”Arms in the hands of citizens may be used at individual discretion in private self defense.”
    ~John Adams

[B][U]”The strongest reason for people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.”
    [/U][/B]~Thomas Jefferson

”The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
    ~Samuel Adams

”The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
    ~Thomas Jefferson

”Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.”
    ~Benjamin Franklin
    Pick-Six: Good post. The Second Amendment is not about hunting/recreational shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by ses View Post
    I agree we have the right to bear arms but.....I was in a gun store a few days ago with my sons and brother. Everybody in there was crowded around the counter where the assault rifles and anybody buying a gun was buying one of those. I asked by brother about it (he buys lots of guns) and he said that's about all anybody buys anymore.Any time he went to a gun store that's all anybody was carrying out. These are not guns you would buy to shoot coyotes. IMO the people are ,consiously or subconsiously, preparing for war or something close to it. I'll bet this joker we have for a president has sold more assault rifles than all prior presidents combined. Now with all of the new talk about banning these kinds of guns there's no doubt in my mind the sales of are going to explode.
    ses: You say: "I agree we have the right to bear arms but....." There is no "but." We have the Constitutional right to bear arms to protect our freedom from dictatorial/tyrannical governments like the one we won our independence from...PERIOD...with no "but." The Second Amendment says that right "shall not be infringed"...period. The Second Amendment is not about shooting coyotes or hunting or recreational shooting. It's about our freedom.

BTW...you don't buy a 7mm Remington Mag to shoot coyotes either...or deer...unless you want to kill and CLEAN the deer with the same shot. lol. Said gun is more suitable for elephant/water buffalo/rhinos. The only problem is...if you shoot this gun much...you will flinch so bad that you wouldn't be able to hit a barn door...much less an elephant.

But, that's not the point. It is your Constitutional Right to buy this gun without the approval of anybody. The same thing goes for so-called military style assault weapons. Nobody has the right to say you can not buy them. Likewise, nobody has the right to say what the maximum size of the magazine should be. This Constitutional Right "shall not be infringed"...period...NO "buts."

The M16/M4/AR15 is a POS. The M16 killed more of our soldiers in Nam than the Viet Cong ever did until they added the emergency assist to close the action which would hang open from ball powder residue. The .223 is not an effective killing bullet to start off with. It is not even legal to hunt deer with it in KS.... .23 caliber minimum...yet that is what we equip our soldiers with. The other problem with the M16/M4 is in a fire fight, soldiers pull the trigger and wind up with an empty gun. In many units it was a court martial offense to have the weapon on Full Auto...just for that reason. This is not the first time that our military screwed up. The M1873 Trap Door .45/70 had COPPER...not brass...cartridges which would melt and stick to the chamber. At the Little Bighorn dead soldiers were found with their bayonet/knives trying to dig out the empty cartridge while the Indians over ran them.

The M1 Garand .30/06 was and still is the best rifle ever made for the military. AND...it is not full auto but semi-automatic. The only way to make it better is to put a 20 round clip on it.

But, all of this is academic. If a law abiding US citizen wants to buy an AR15 type weapon, the Second Amendment guarantees him/her that right...and with NO..."infringement" on the clip size either.

Mexican beauty queen killed by "Fast&Furious" weapon formerly owned by existing BATF employee:

[url]http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-34222_162-57560107-10391739/pistol-purchased-by-atf-agent-found-at-alleged-cartel-crime-scene-in-mexico/[/url]

The libs who want to mainstream the mentally ill with society bear the full responsibility of the tragedy at Sandy Hook.

In a perverse way, I guess we should thank the libs for their incredible stupidity. Since this unspeakable tragedy occurred, the NRA is gaining 8,000 new members per day.

Senior Member glowplug is on a distinguished road
    A well thought out discussion on how to solve the mass shooting situation:

[url]http://larrycorreia.wordpress.com/2012/12/20/an-opinion-on-gun-control/[/url]