AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bmr silage corn

Junior Member bigj is on a distinguished road

Bmr silage corn

What is your gentelmans opinion on Bmr silage corn in a dairy ration, and how do you utilize it in growing and dry cow rations. Nutritients is recommending planting 3rows Bmr and three rows conventional .

Moderator drdiederich is on a distinguished road drdiederich's Avatar
    In front of one of my computers or on my phone...
    Interesting concept, planting both BMR and non BMR in the same field. I don't plant any BMR but instead plant a "high digestibility" silage specific corn silage.
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

May I ask what brand that would be? This is a pioneer product that will be planted.

Senior Member JRthe original is on a distinguished road
    Big J doing that completely negates the reason for planting BMR. I would go with Highly digestible type corn hybrids.

Quote Originally Posted by bigj View Post
    May I ask what brand that would be? This is a pioneer product that will be planted.
    I plant Dairyland brand (its a Dow AgroSciences company)
    DiederichFarm

Jr that's what I thought . The research I've done says that the first half of the lactation sees the most bang but after that a guy could go back to regular corn silage. Also dry cows and heifers will get to fat if you feed them Bmr in their ration according to some of the studies I've read. What about tonnage an acre, heard it takes more acres .

Senior Member JRthe original is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bigj View Post
    Jr that's what I thought . The research I've done says that the first half of the lactation sees the most bang but after that a guy could go back to regular corn silage. Also dry cows and heifers will get to fat if you feed them Bmr in their ration according to some of the studies I've read. What about tonnage an acre, heard it takes more acres .
    Yields are all over the place it can be very variable. I just don't think it is worth the risk. You can't count on it for consistent tonnage.

As to heifers getting to fat. Yep.

The reason I ask the question is I back ground heifers for a dairy and they are good friends along with the fact that my brother sold them silage corn last year. I think they where happy with it. It placed in the top of the minnesota trials last year. It's a hundred bag hit to his sales. also they have another farmer raise the crop then they pay him for the silage. Just having a hard time rapping my head around how you would price the silage. They do a three year corn ave right now, but I would think that would have to change

Typically, around here, silage is priced on either the day the corn is harvested via cost of corn locally or a month or two average from the CBOT.
    DiederichFarm