AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Junior Member HuskerCM is on a distinguished road

Purchasing Seed for next years Crop

What do you want to see or talk about when your seed salesman stops by to talk about next years purchase? Do you care about looking at plot data? Every brand can seem to scew the info to their benefit?

For what reasons have you stayed with existing dealers or switched to different dealer?

Please keep in mind that I'm asking as a new dealer and we do not set the prices. That is not where I want this topic to go. We all know the manufactures charge way too much.

We all have to buy seed. What do you want to hear or see when your seed guy or gal stops by.

Senior Member Peeler GTFB is on a distinguished road
    Husker As far as plot data goes I use it some but never look at the seed being sold by the publisher. I look at competitors numbers in the results if a competitor keeps coming to the top in mutiple company's results it's a number to consider.

I don't think too many decisions can be made on a high stress year like this.

I'm sticking with my same dealers, they are knowledgeable and know my land and farming practices.

Senior Member thorbossler is on a distinguished road
    Agree with Peeler GTFB:

1. Plot data is selected, screened, and presented in favor of the publisher. Seek additional data from other sources.

2. This was an abnormal year. Remember that when looking at this year's results.

3. Loyalty and familiarality is often good.

My greatest concern this year is with the new Technology Agreement presented by Pioneer for my signature to establish it as a legal and binding document on my part. I understand their need to protect their interests, but in places they would have me agree to unnecessary invasion of privacy. Their philosophy does not include "innocent until they have substantial reason to suspect guilt".

I hope other Pioneer customers would share any concerns they have, or customers of other seed suppliers would compare their grower legal document (Monsanto = Monsanto Technical/Stewardship Agreement).

Thor

Junior Member fencer is on a distinguished road
    The best dealers in my area are up on the tech of everything and will tell you what is working and not working. The dealer i have has tenders available to use, walks some of my fields during the middle of summer, treats everyone the same,(big operators and small) I give him a call on sunday morning telling him i need more seed. He tells me sure just go in the shed and get it and write it down what i needed. Had a hybrid that had a weak shank and found ears all over the ground. dealer stepped up and made it right.
    Knowledge of your ground to match the right seed is vital.
    I usually ask the dealer lots of ?. Not just about yields but seed treatments, growing conditions, etc.
    Good luck on your dealership. Sell to the guys in the coffee shop first and get their population increased. They will tell everyone else!

Senior Member glowplug is on a distinguished road
    "DuPont Pioneer is informing farmers now that the company will protect its intellectual property in soybean varieties containing the RR1 trait after the patent expires".

Oct. 2012 Farm Journal, page 8....."Free" Soybean Seed Might Carry a High Price by Rhonda Brooks

Translation = don't even think about saving Big P soybeans for seed to plant next year.

Waiting.......waiting..........waiting.........5, 4, 3, 2,1..........

When you buy seed from glowplug (fckstick), he will remind you that you should be careful not to confuse traits with genetics!

Translation= some seed dealers don't know jack squat!

Senior Member dairyfarmmn is on a distinguished road
    Dealers I work with know my ground. They also know what I want to plant and don't try and force genetics or plant traits I don't need/want on me. Be it RR, rootworm, bT, RIB, HDS/TMF or whatever. They understand my goals and help me get there.

Senior Member glowplug is on a distinguished road
    (fckstick),

profanity is a confirmation that one's ability to express themselves is self-limited.

Genetics in seed corn vareities = naturally occuring characteristics that brought out by cross, back-cross, traditional hybrid breeding methods using parent lines in most cases.

Bio-tech traits = characteristics achieved by manipulating germ plasm, often achived in a laboratory setting.

Senior Member Ghost Ryder is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by glowplug View Post
    (fckstick),

profanity is a confirmation that one's ability to express themselves is self-limited.

Genetics in seed corn vareities = naturally occuring characteristics that brought out by cross, back-cross, traditional hybrid breeding methods using parent lines in most cases.

Bio-tech traits = characteristics achieved by manipulating germ plasm, often achived in a laboratory setting.

Bio tech traits all come from genes, just like non bio tech traits do.

Senior Member ECI is on a distinguished road ECI's Avatar
    Quote From Husker : What do you want to see or talk about when your seed salesman stops by to talk .

Well we start with who won the TQ race then the midget race , then the sprint car race then the Indy car race then how BOREING them taxi cab drivers are then have you seen the new gal working at the gas station with the super big ones then he sez he don't remeber why he stoped by LMAO !

Sorry here , just couldn't help myself , lol

But really here , I have a great dealer that I work with here , as the others have said , he knows my ground pretty darn good , he farms next to me on many fields and have worked togather on trying different things = more data then just what one can do .
    As far as this years data , there are some things to learn from it -- some numbers may have took the heat better than others , seedling blight hit here this spring , which ones were better ? Afla. ? which numbers had it , which ones didnt ? How did it stand this fall from the drought ? eardrop ? and so on and so on .
    My dealer's DSM also stops by to check crops , rides in the combine to see for himself on wants going on , remeber they make there money from sells and if something don't work then they don't want it out there either , we are the research team for seed company's .
    My dealer also has a seed treater - i like that ! we do custome treat to what we think we need not the company from out of state .

The best plot work for info. is from your own farm not from another state .

Sorry here --BUT another weak moment here , sorry GP but F---stick ? LMAO haven't heard that one in a millon years .

Good luck Husker !!!