AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Senior Member db51 is on a distinguished road

Corn Harvest Underway in Illinois!

This is my March 9 planted corn. Survived the frost, survived the hail, but couldn't beat the heat.

You'll notice that this field from 50' looks like 175 bushels. Not a single ear to be found on 90 acres.

Nice job of shredding DB, my neighbor has a 6 row he will let me rent/use/borrow and I may take him up on it. I am still going to go to wheat and in looking at yours I don't know if the no-till drill would have problems with the root ball part or just go beside them. Darn shame that it had to come to this.

Senior Member Iowa55 is on a distinguished road
    WTF? you sow us a pict of a green one and then this? It's red.

The Rhino was built better than the Deere. I'm really impressed with this Rhino shredder....if some of this corn goes down, the shredder won't do such a good job....once you run over a stalk with the tractor, it usually is flat enough on the ground to get missed by the shredder.

I've been able to run in 8th gear @ 5.9 mph in standing 7' tall green corn. Doesn't even pull down the rpm's where it get really heavy.

I don't know whether to put wheat in this or wait till 013 and plant beans. I'm tempted to put the Zone Builder ripper on it with wings, break up the hard ground and mix the residue in. Other option is to do nothing, spray it and no-till beans.
    Last edited by db51; 07-20-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Moderator drdiederich is on a distinguished road drdiederich's Avatar
    In front of one of my computers or on my phone...
    Quote Originally Posted by SIllinoisfarmer View Post
    Nice job of shredding DB, my neighbor has a 6 row he will let me rent/use/borrow and I may take him up on it. I am still going to go to wheat and in looking at yours I don't know if the no-till drill would have problems with the root ball part or just go beside them. Darn shame that it had to come to this.
    We no-till wheat into corn stubble every year, haven't had a problem yet.
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Senior Member PERCY is on a distinguished road
    What a S*#tin' shame...there has to be some poor cattle owner literally cryin' that he couldn't somehow figure out a way to feed that. I'm not doubting the lack of ear, just admiring the leaf!

Senior Member natty is on a distinguished road natty's Avatar
    Can you use the Auto -steer for this?Damn shame to have to concentrate during a crop funeral.

drdiederich:

I am in uncharted waters here and have never in all my years followed corn with wheat. My soybean chemical will not allow me to follow those acres with wheat as I normally do and I really want to try and catch some of that expensive N that I put down this spring. In addition we are in an area of the US that normally gets 40" of rainfall a year and if it is going to be dry I can usually raise a pretty fair wheat crop (if we can catch any rain at all between now and before first frost. Do you chop your stalks before you no till or do you work the ground first? Anything to watch out for that makes it different than following soybeans? Thanks!

Senior Member dairyfarmmn is on a distinguished road
    Percy I was thinking the same thing! Sum of a beech I wish I was db's neighbor...... well actually not with his CSR rating of 90+ every year. LMAO

But man that looks like a LOT of nice bedding and/or filler/fiber to me on those fields....... mmmm uh mmmmm