+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member 4450 is on a distinguished road

Corn turning purple

I planted corn on the little field behind my house that I had planted to cover crop last Sept., then pastured until early spring. Since the cattle had it stomped down and pretty rough, I field cultivated it, anhydroused it and field cultivated it before planting. The best ground on that patch is what I can see from the house and that is looking good and growing. But when I was planting beans next to it this afternoon, I notice the back half on the poor ground is turning purple. Just the leaves on some and the whole plant on others. Now it's getting pretty dry here. But the good ground and the poor ground that I hauled manure on a few years ago looks ok. It's just the poorest ground that is the next due for manure this coming winter. How can you tell?

Senior Member davidm479 is on a distinguished road
    4450 you did"n plant some indian corn did you ----------------------------proll just the plant running out water-------------dave
    Last edited by davidm479; 05-12-2012 at 10:28 PM.

Senior Member db51 is on a distinguished road
    Why did my corn turn purple? Purpling results from the accumulation of a purple pigment called anthocyanin. Whether or not a corn plant produces anthocyanin is determined by the hybrid's genetics. Some hybrids contain more 'purpling' genes than others.

Purple corn is caused by one of two factors. The first factor is simply a genetic response to cool nights following bright, sunny days. Warmer weather will cause the purpling to slowly disappear. The second factor is restricted root development, coupled with an abundance of plant sugars produced by photosynthesis that triggers the purpling.

Let me guess - PIONEER. Do you own a cultivator and know how to use it? That will help get some air to the root zone and get it going.

Senior Member PERCY is on a distinguished road
    Tell me more, 4450, as in...how long has it been planted, is it a sissy variety of seed, [not cold tolerant], do you plant with banded fertilizer...seems to me you haven't hit the nutrition with the roots, OR...the roots can't find it cuz that ground is too hard!! GET OUT THE CULTIVATOR, NOW!!!

Senior Member Peeler GTFB is on a distinguished road
    Ditto what Db51 said especially the Pioneer thing

Senior Member ECI is on a distinguished road ECI's Avatar
    I will just take a stab here in the dark 4450 , lol My bet is that you didn't put on any 10-34 -0 , you planted into or the ground got cooler or it just turned off cold after planting . The purple may be comeing from a lack of phoshorus , in 10-34 the P2O5 in readly avaiable , remeber that the very young corn plant is liveing off the seed at first and in cool soil temp's it's pretty slow for the roots to take up the nutrients it needs = short on P2O5 , as the plant takes off and the roots grow then the purple goes away .

Senior Member 4450 is on a distinguished road
    Pioneer 3550 refuge in a bag planted apr. 18. Put dry starter in the row with the planter, however, those fertilizer disk openers running in moist soil just ahead and to the side of the seed openers cause soil to stick to the seed opener depth guage wheel, sooooo I pulled the hose out of the openers, raised them up, and dribbled the starter right ahead of the seed openers. We haven't had a significant rain since I planted it. Maybe .65 in. total. We've had temps as high as mid 90's and some nights as cool as upper 30's. Went out there on the 4 wheeler this morning for closer look and like I said, the good ground and poorer ground that has been manured pretty heavy looks ok. It's just poorest spots. Also makes me wonder about the refuge in the bag. There were spots where the plants going down a row would look ok and then there would be a purple one every so often. Yes I own a cultivator, I think, it's been buried back in the weeds for so long. Last time I used it I thought I did more damage than good, just dried it out even more. Noticed other fields around the neighborhood had purpling.
    Last edited by 4450; 05-13-2012 at 09:31 AM.

Junior Member fatcat66 is on a distinguished road
    your corn will be perfectly fine as soon as it warms up and the roots develpe more to pick up the phosperous. Seen it a 1000 times in Ohio. Pioneer by far the worst. dont losw any sleep over this yet

Senior Member ECI is on a distinguished road ECI's Avatar
    Fatcat where the heck you been ??? you need to get on here more ----------- have to put up with greg1 and rcr ! lol
    Did you get everything in over in the buckeye ? I still DFAing here , about 2 and a quarter on beans to go and then MAYBE done .

Senior Member MOMOSARIC is on a distinguished road
    "Corn turning purple" is theoretically what it says db51, but practically can be used: sow early spring (march) Pioneer hybrid , the area where they appear purple leaves is a area of high compaction, shallow tiled , pebbles in the soil or something like that , and it should be fix the next year.