+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member Uncle Cracker is on a distinguished road

John Deere 4440 problem

I have a 4440 that I use for small jobs around the farms with a front-end loader. The 3 point decided it didn't want to lift any more. The loader works fine. If idled all the way down and the lift lever is raised to the lift position on the 3 point the tracter engine pulls down but lift never moves. Have already changed seals in the rock shaft and the lift assist cylinders. Any ideas? I'm lost as what to do next. TIA

Senior Member nlballard is on a distinguished road
    I can't help you , but I just spent about what the 4240 is worth to fix my hydraulisc and a few other things. DA m n j d charges.

Senior Member verbatime is on a distinguished road verbatime's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cracker View Post
    I have a 4440 that I use for small jobs around the farms with a front-end loader. The 3 point decided it didn't want to lift any more. The loader works fine. If idled all the way down and the lift lever is raised to the lift position on the 3 point the tractor engine pulls down but lift never moves. Have already changed seals in the rock shaft and the lift assist cylinders. Any ideas? I'm lost as what to do next. TIA
    Find every hydraulic screen and filter you can and clean them change them. If that doesn't work go talk to the John Deere dealer. At Plains Power and Equipment they get the tech manual out and go through it all with you.

If that doesn't work goto ask.com and get a John Deere tech to help you.

Senior Member 4450 is on a distinguished road
    If you move the load and depth contol lever down by your right foot, does it do anything at all?

Senior Member davidm479 is on a distinguished road
    UC give me a call my son can help you NOBLE has my number-----------------------dave

4450 I have already tried moving the "draft" lever up and down and doesn't make any difference. I have a "junior JD tech" going to come by tonight and take a look at it. If he doesn't have a idea I will figure out how to get in touch with you David. Thanks for the offers and advice so far.

Banned Faust100F is on a distinguished road
    I think verb might have hit on your problem. Last fall at the end of harvest I lost 2nd, 4th, neutral, and park out of my vintage 8430. A month ago, I changed the hydraulic filters, pulled out the screens and cleaned them because I thought that might be the problem.

I then started the tractor, apparently one hydraulic filter was plugged, what happened next was (according to John Deere) was that the force of the hydraulic fluid pushing caused the shifting pin inside the transmission to push in the other direction half way which caused me to have only 1st and third again.

I called John Deere to get a price on the fix, well . . . the bill was going to be about $12,000, but they were not sure the hydraulics were the problem. What a joke! I told the mechanic that I thought there was some gunk in the hydraulic lines and I would run the tractor for a few days pulling a 30ft field cultivator, and maybe things would heat up enough to clear the system.

At the end of the first day I was still locked into 1st and third, no neutral, and no park, had to push the clutch in to stop the tractor and to start it.

The second day, after about seven hours of field work, I stopped the tractor and tried to shift the gears, to my surprise, I had all the gears including park and neutral.

I ran the tractor the next day all day, with no problems, but last friday I finishing up field cultivating, and I lost first and third again, but have neutral and park. The tractor moves in first and third, but whines when it is put under a load in those gears, and so I am back to using 2nd and 4th.

I think it is a hydraulic problem, and I think perhaps the hydraulic screen may be plugged on the left side of the tractor and that eventually it will clear itself like it did before. But who knows!

So what you may have is a hydraulic problem or plugged hydraulic line. I do not know how the hydraulic pumps on your tractor are configured, but on my older two wheel drive tractors the hydraulic pump is in the front, and when hydraulic power is lost on those tractors John Deere has a tool that looks like a small T that you can buy for $5, to open the hydraulic pump up and allow it to blow anything plugging your lines into the rear end of the tractor. You might want to see if that might be a problem. If anyone has had a similar experience with vintage equipment like mine please enlighten me. LMAO! John
    Last edited by Faust100F; 05-03-2012 at 08:57 PM.

Senior Member dennis1 is on a distinguished road
    My first thought was something is in the control valve...but I didn't want to get anyone on the wrong track...
    then along comes faust, vintage, lets get back to real...4620, and lost part of the hydraulics, from the
    hydraulics for the external cylinders(pulled implements)...but had power steering, if I remember correct,
    brakes functioned, well the "little" aluminum "circulation" thingy on the left side of the
    transmission differential case has some valves, and ONE of the plungers got scored, so it stuck...the
    mechanic was able to polish the plunger until it worked ok...in the 4450 problem, I'd be looking
    at internal cracked pressure line...you wanted a reason to clean the cab so they could remove it
    to get to the inerds right????

Senior Member 4450 is on a distinguished road
    I was thinking about this post yesterday when I was spraying with my 1979 4240. I got to thinking, the first tractor that I bought when I started out in 1974 was a 1960 model. That would make it 14 years old. Now I'm farming with 1988 and 1979 models. That makes them 24 and33 years old. I couldn't believe it. Where has the time gone? I think the best thing for UC would be for him to call the JD dealer and tell them to come get the 4440 and since there is no sense in dead-heading a semi, bring a new 7430 with them. I bet 130 grand would probably take care of it, lol.

Well the tech thinks it is a relief valve stuck or plugged up in the control block assembly. We took it off and he is going to take it in to work with him and let one of the older tech take a look at them.