AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Senior Member db51 is on a distinguished road
    JC...thank you for the words of encouragment. 48...if anyone would know the location of syphillis was in the D!CKtionary, it would be you. I've never had any reason to look it up.

Senior Member ECI is on a distinguished road ECI's Avatar
    There is a good video on the front page from University of Illinois Extension Agronomist Emerson Nafziger discusses how the Illinois corn crop might deal with the freeze .

BTW jcc ! good to see you back on here ! or should i say kwest , lol have a good one John

Senior Member 48 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jccwis View Post
    Way - way back in 1966-67..... was just out of college and worked 4 yrs. for U of Wis. Experimental Farms at the Marshfield Station. At that time researchers were trying to prove earlyplanted corn would get ripe ( in this area ) and yield better , etc.

One variety of corn ( 85 day ) was planted at 4 or 5 dates one week apart...... May 1 - May 7 - May 14 - May 21 - May 28...planting dates could vary a day or two either way depending on ground conditions. Trial was run 4 years.

Over the 4 yrs the earliest planting was froze off 3 times and in 2 of those 3 yrs was the highest yielding planting date and the other 2 yrs was the second highest yielding. Needless to say was also the driest at harvest. John
    JCC: Yeah, but they started on May 1...not MAR like db51. ROTFLMAO.

db51: If I didn't like you, I wouldn't jerk your chain. Hopefully, you didn't FC any of that for Aug delivery. ROTFLMAO. I'm sorry Anna. I guess this falls into the category of poking people in the eye. Can you make an exception for people who plant corn in MAR??? Thanx.

Senior Member jccwis is on a distinguished road
    48 : May 1 up-here in this area of Wis. ( cold , wet soils ) would compare to Mar. 20-25 in db51's area . John

JCC: I don't know about Sconny, but I took my uncle to the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, MN for years, and S MN is very similar to NW KS. May 1 is about the ideal date all over the Corn Belt, but you can't plant it all on one day, so you start the last week of April. I'm mainly jerking db51's chain...like he does mine. Wait til his corn is burning up, and his yard is brown...and...then he picks 220bu/a. lol.

Senior Member dairyfarmmn is on a distinguished road
    48: I have to agree with jccwis on this one. The last days of April for him are like the last days of March for db. There is a big difference even in S MN for west to east. Not to mention the difference between where I am at and where jcc is at. Totally different areas.

Senior Member dairyfarmmn is on a distinguished road
    db: You friggin southern farmers make me laugh!! You guys apparently have no clue on frost and stuff. The ground was warm and will give off some radiant heat. The growing point of the corn was either below or at ground level so it did not freeze. You may lose some upper leaves but the corn will be just fine. So rest assured you can drown it out, then have it turn brown in July from the drought, then you can still combine 275 bu. corn!

Quote Originally Posted by dairyfarmmn View Post
    48: I have to agree with jccwis on this one. The last days of April for him are like the last days of March for db. There is a big difference even in S MN for west to east. Not to mention the difference between where I am at and where jcc is at. Totally different areas.
    DF: Oh...really? When do you usually plant corn?

Senior Member db51 is on a distinguished road
    Actual planting date was March 11. I was planting beans on March 27. 48...I have that corn contracted for July . . .lmao. Thought I'd get an early start with the Big Green POS since I couldn't depend on you showing up with the Phantom Red Beast you are always talking about. Hope to be finished spraying fungicide at tassling somewhere around May 30 and hopefully get a shower or two to fill the ears out by mid June. Do they have early order discounts for 2013 seed available in June? I'm thinking I might want to get a pallet or so delivered so I'm ready to start around Mid January of next year.

Hope ECI was right and the FJ Babes come outto interview me for the magazine cover on the early beans. Last time I saw a picture of Kip he looked like he didn't weight 60 lbs . . . running all over the globe hawking all of that seed, fertilizer, fungicide and such must be a gruesome job. I think I'm up to the task....maybe even get ECI, Natty and 48 to join my entourage for our first 300 bu/acre soybean World Tour.