AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Senior Member JRthe original is on a distinguished road

Hard freeze trims alfalfa yields, Cows make more milk

Just thought I would give the dairy editors the next headline. Got down to 21 here last night. Alfalfa has sure takin it on the chin. New seeding hasn't got any moisture to germinate.

Just Like last year in Texas tho, these bad conditions will make milk production sore. I say we boost the make allowance as we need to ensure processor profitability in these difficult times.

Uhhm I might be just a little sarcastic with this post.

Senior Member PERCY is on a distinguished road
    Sounds like somebody forgot to plug the feeding tractor in!!! What we do is hope for an extra good crop of dandilions and shepherds purse!! Running out of water early is a really tuff way to go, tho.

Senior Member pldairy is on a distinguished road
    got to 34 here last night,we may have missed it this time?,after yesterdays snow,with those high winds,cooling everything down ,whats next? wait its going to get real dry...........that should make lots of milk,our muck pastures look dead after this past weeks freezes

Senior Member dairyfarmmn is on a distinguished road
    Fk Percy the dandelions are toast too! Even the weeds are not germinating! Guess I know now why my cows are making a 100 lbs/day now. If it stays dry maybe I can make 150?

Senior Member Kinghere is on a distinguished road
    Df Your fields must be damaged worse then ours. Our dandeliions look pretty healty but short The taller alfalfa protected the weeds, so we will harvest a bumper crop o0f weeds.. Salad for cows?? We think the shorter alfalfaplants were not hurt too much especially on the better fields The stressed fields are worse and the alfalfa is showing a lot of disease in addition to more frost damaged because the thin stand allows more cold damage. We think the alfalfa will put out lateral shoots like hailed on soybeans but the maturity of the alfalfa could be more vauiable

Senior Member dairyfarmmn is on a distinguished road
    Honestly KH, I have only done the "windsheild" check of the alflafa fields. But the dandelions on the lawn and around the barn are toast. We made almost 29,000 RHA on Dandelions a number of years when we lost our alflafa to ice in the winter. My best guess is that the plant will start new growth at the crown. I'm thinking the growing point on the top of the plant is killed. So the plant will start new growth much like when we cut it.

Moderator drdiederich is on a distinguished road drdiederich's Avatar
    In front of one of my computers or on my phone...
    All our alfalfa looks ok so far but the stuff we summer seeded last year after wheat... it looks rather tough, looks like some larger areas didn't make it though winter and that the rest is struggling now... this cold sure is setting it back...

DF you must've stolen all my production... I bought some baled hay due to a shortage of feed, big mistake. Cows dropped about 7 lbs DMI and nearly 15 lbs of milk.... needless to say I pulled it back out and found some corn silage to buy to feed instead.
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Senior Member ECI is on a distinguished road ECI's Avatar
    Well I have been pretty busy here BUT just have to take some time and VENT here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't think I have ever seen such big time of pizzing and moom'n in my life !!!!!!!!!!! and what about ??? i little f--king cold ! And it's the young farmers on here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on guys and grow a pair of balls !!!!!!!!!! Let's see here , Jr. started this bullsh1t and then Df and Dr. jumped right in !! OH my alfalfa don't look to good ! give me a F--king break here !!!

i am just about to have a big one here !!

Ok you young puzzies listen up !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Do you see larrydc , Pldairy , kinghere , Roger-7 , percey , Bill in Wisconsin, Duke and the others on here SAY one thing about a few cool night s??????????????????

Fu-k NO you didn't !!!!!!!!!!!! why ???????????????????? They are Pro's !!!!!!!!!!! They don't panic , if something go's wrong , no big deal ! they just go on and figure it out how to fix it , They don't jump on ag web and wet there pants !!!!!!!!!!!! like you guy's !!!!!!!!

You guys keep this up and you'll be sitting to take a pizz !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well I better get off here , I think because of you nit wit's , I will have to go to a support meeting tonight !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try and read more what larry and pl , percry , Duke and Bill posts and quite pizzing around !

OK ????
    Last edited by ECI; 04-12-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Senior Member The Duke is on a distinguished road
    Just gotta say ECI your a little hard on them ****y tuggers arn't ya
    My 12 acres of hay looks great

Senior Member ECI is on a distinguished road ECI's Avatar
    Damn Duke ! I'm sorry , I didn't put you up there with the other Pro's !

Hard on them ????? I thought i was go'n easy ! But then again I forgot how old they are , LMAO

Maybe I had a memory of dad chew'n my azz ,, and i did get a few of them , LOL