AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member ECI is on a distinguished road ECI's Avatar

Heads up In Wisconsin !

got this out of the univ. of sconny . If you have alfalfa , better be checking it for weevil , they ar going ape sh1t here on it .

For you guy's ------------ No Charge !

[url]http://ipcm.wisc.edu/download/wcm-pdf/WCM19_4.pdf[/url]

Senior Member pldairy is on a distinguished road
    after tomarrow night we wont have to worrie about it

Senior Member Kinghere is on a distinguished road
    Ken Them southern weevils are going top need to be wearing longjohns other wise they will frreze their butts off and die just like the alfalfa looks already. If only Roundup and 2-4-D WORKED AS GOOD KILLING ALFALFA AS THIS COLD WEATHER IS DOING

Senior Member PERCY is on a distinguished road
    So KING, and PL, did your alfalfa get hammered by the weather ? or don't you know yet? Also, if you get the Southern weevel, will you also get the rust?

Senior Member roger7 is on a distinguished road
    14 in. high alfalfa is beginning to look quite yellow around southern Wis. 24degree temps don't seem to be helping the alfalfa much. R7

Up here the corn has alfalfahas frozen the last couple nights but had also frozen las week. So it is looking pretty tough, like good spray kill or fall dormancy. Ours was not as tall as Roger's about 8 inches but like other things it has gotten shorter in this cold climate. We think it will grow out again, but this cold weather has definitely set the alfalfa back for a bit. Luckily we are very dry so the cold will not be as damaging as if the fields were wet.

Kinghere, are you getting a wind with the cold, or just a nightfrost? Heck, if I were going to lose 14 inches of growth, could a guy cut it, and chop it? Just asking.

Senior Member dairyfarmmn is on a distinguished road
    I think my alflafa is ready for a fork be to stuck in it, it's about done. Out of WATER and now getting hammered by frost. Had several light frosts then last night down to 20 here. Suppose to be a little colder tonight. IF I had 14 inch tall alfalfa I would be seriously thinking of cutting it. Mine got to about 10 inches, is probably back to 7 or 8 inches again. No one here is sure what to expect from the alflalfa. Will it go dormanant again? Will it just stall out growth wise and mature. Will it lose digestibilty but never truly mature? Only shot of rain in the 15 day is over the weekend......we miss that and we are forked.

Lousy way to start a growing season out, DRYFRMN. Does anybody irrigate in your area? Do you have the water in the ground if you wanted to irrigate? Hungry cows don't produce very well, over on the left coast.

We have not been very windy at night, but today the wind was picking up by 8:00 AM and the temperature was still 28 and it was 28 at 10;00 PM which is a long time below freezing. We don't have anywhere near enough to cut now so we can only wait and see what happens as the growing season progresses.