+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Quick hittch

Senior Member iadave is on a distinguished road

Quick hittch

I have been wondering what is so great about the quick hitch they put on 3pt hitches? My old tractor you back up, unlatch the bottom links slide them out up or whatever you need.Back up and you are
    latched. Raise hitch till top link fits and go. Take 5 min tops. My quick hitch always takes an hour, pretty common for 2. It takes the skid loader and a sledge hammer to get down in the slots. I have had 2 different ones on this tractor and they are both the same. If you want to put the bushings in so things don't slop around it is almost impossible.

Senior Member SteigerGreen is on a distinguished road
    What kind of quick hitch do you have and what tractor is it on iadave?? We have quick hitches on all of our tractors and couldn't do without them. We can back up to anything with a 3 pt hookup and be latched and ready to go in about 15 seconds. If there is no hydraulics to hook up you don't even have to get out of the cab, just lean back and flip the latches through the back window. We had the opposite problem that you had, took about an hour to hook up our ditch bank chopper without a quick hitch. The manufacturer claimed it wasn't compatible with a quick hitch, but it is now. LOL

The key to using a quick hitch is to unhook everything so it is going down hill, meaning the top pin is sticking further forward than the lower two pins. This way when you get the top pin hooked it pulls the implement towards you and it drops into the two lower holders. Backing up square with the implement is also very important. Give these tips a try and if you still think a quick hitch isn't the way to go you can come and try to hook up our ripper to a 4wd tractor without using a quickhitch, better bring your lunch and a case of beer......Steiger
    Last edited by SteigerGreen; 03-28-2012 at 04:12 PM.

Senior Member The Duke is on a distinguished road
    iadave, you can't put catIII pins in catII quick hitch LMAO JHF

Senior Member PERCY is on a distinguished road
    IADAVE, Once you just use the BIG 3 point equipment, then you'll love 'em. But cat II can come in 10 different spacings, to drive you nuts, I guess. The neighbors soft hose reel sent us back for a different tractor yesterday.

Cat 2 quick hitch that came on an AGCO DT 180 new. When that one tore in 2 the dealer gave me a cat 3 under warranty. The main problem is if I get the top hook latched and lift the bottom 2 hit. The other problem is I cant' get the top link short enough. Then the hooks always bind so you have to beat the implement down into the grooves. After that it is sloppy because you have to use the cat 2 pins without the bushings on or you will be all day getting them in. Unhooking is just as bad. I have to use a sledge to beat the hooks down away from the lift pins. On my 7060 the lower arms extend out and up/down and around if needed. If you are within a foot it will hook right up. I suppose it is possible it is my equipment. The only 3pt equipment I use on it is a sprayer and a gnuse scoop.

Senior Member SteigerGreen is on a distinguished road
    Sounds like your quick hitch isn't matching up with the spacing of your hitch pins or your quick hitch is just a pos iadave. Not sure why you can't get your top link short enough either. The more I think about it, this might be your biggest problem. If the top link is too long the implement gets raised too high by the top hook before the bottom two pins are close enough to drop into the hooks and they will hit the face of the hooks instead of riding on the surface and dropping in. You might have to try unhooking the implement so it is "uphill" (lower two pins out further than top pin) since you can't shorten your top link enough. This might allow you to get the two bottom pins hooked before the top hook rasies the implement. This would be the exact opposite of any other quick hitch I have used but with your long top link it might work. Once you figure out a way to get it hooked up easily it will be just as easily unhooked using the same reasoning. It is really too bad that you have so much trouble with it b/c they really are the cats azz for using anything 3pt.....Steiger

Part of the problem might be because it is new. Got the bucket on it now. Will be working trees and fixing terraces so if that is the case it will wear quickly, giving me some slack.