+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member 4450 is on a distinguished road

business band radios no longer useable?

Got a letter in the mail from a radio dealer saying the fcc rule change on frequencies have made radios older than 10 years old obsolete. I've got several that I used before the cell phones took over, but are these no longer going to be useable. Mine are vhf in the lower 160. range.

Senior Member PERCY is on a distinguished road
    4450, you want me to send you my 8 tracks to keep them company??? LOL

Senior Member iadave is on a distinguished road
    Perhaps you could monitor the radio. If there is no traffic on them you could probably still use them. Might be illegal but if you are not bothering any one who cares?

Senior Member dennis1 is on a distinguished road
    We had the same problem...had a community repeater...had 4 farms, 1 veterinarian, and 1 oil tank service company...
    worked great, everyone got along and shared necessary info about weather and roads...and community happenings...
    but the tower the repeater was attached was owned by another "investment" company that raised the rent, and the
    majority decided NOT to pay that much rent, so now the tower is bare, and our radios transmit less distance than CB
    radios, the batteries for the hand helds were HIGH $, we could use them basically in the same field, but not reliable
    for more than 1 mile...if terrain was favorable.

It's still hard to beat a radio for quick communication..like between combine and grain cart and the like.

Senior Member iadave is on a distinguished road
    I didn't mind the rent increase on ours so much as the fact it didn't work 90% of the time. I went to the owner as he insisted it was fixed. It didn't work for him either! He was kind of upset when I told him since it didn't work we weren't paying any more. I won't print his words but what do you expect. Our repeater was sold as new and rebuilt to several different guys, same result. No one fixed it and they all wanted paid!