AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
    Junior Member Lynn5 is on a distinguished road

High Trash Cultivators

Looking to purchase a high trash cultivator to apply liquid fertilizer over this application. Any suggestions thoughts or input on cultivator brands. Right now I'm looking at the Hiniker models. Does anyone have any suggestions. I ridge till and want to get away from ammonia.

Senior Member 4450 is on a distinguished road
    I am unclear on what you are looking for. Did you mean a field cultivator? If so, my advice would be to take as good a look at the harrow or smoothing attachment as much as the cultivator itself. Make sure it will handle as much trash as the cultivator. As far as putting liquid on, were you going to incorporate or inject it some way or just spray it on top? I've alwas worried about liquid getting tied up in the trash.

Senior Member ECI is on a distinguished road ECI's Avatar
    44 I think he's talking about row cultivators .

Senior Member GREG1 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Lynn5 View Post
    Looking to purchase a high trash cultivator to apply liquid fertilizer over this application. Any suggestions thoughts or input on cultivator brands. Right now I'm looking at the Hiniker models. Does anyone have any suggestions. I ridge till and want to get away from ammonia.
    Heh Lynn5,

35 years ago I used to cultivate and put 28% on as a sidedress. I think cultivating prunes corn roots so I quit cultivating. I did look at the Hiniker models when I was cultivating and I thought they made an excellent cultivator. I considered ridge till back then but like I said...cultivating prunes roots. I no-till and sidedress 82% (the stuff you are trying to get away from.) I would also like to get away from ammonia but I like the results. I just hope I never get hurt with the stuff. Alot of farmers have been burnt and 28% applicators have been selling like hotcakes for the last 10 years. I'm one of the few who sidedress with ammonia. We have entertained dropping 28% with the sprayer. We tried that last year and were pretty succesfull. I don't like not incorporating the 28%. Dribbling that stuff bothers me. We are putting corn syrup with the mix and that keeps it from vaporizing into the air. (we think) I don't know if I have helped you or cornfused you but good luck!

Senior Member 4450 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by ECI View Post
    44 I think he's talking about row cultivators .
    lol, I didn't think anybody used a cultivator anymore. Lot of them around here got cut up and sold to the junkyard.

Senior Member iadave is on a distinguished road
    Boy, I have just what you need. 3pt and it is even green!

Banned Faust100F is on a distinguished road
    I have a 30", 6 row buffalo no til cultivator, with ridging wings, with a 100 gallon spray tank on top, with spray nozzles that spray each side of the row only. It is a great cultivator, the ridging wings really clean up a field. It can be used to put on fertilizer. I also have a 5 knife bluejet subsoiler which can be used to inject NH3 or liquid. Great tools when people "really knew" how to farm. LMAO! John

Senior Member db51 is on a distinguished road
    I think he really needs to attend at least two semesters of corn college to get his head on straight. Pruning roots. lmao. Oh brother, I wonder what piece of propaganda that came out of. A course in equipment nomenclature might also be beneficial.