+ Reply to Thread
    Member AgChick is on a distinguished road

Break Even on Distillers dried grains

With the price of DDGS going up what would be a good break even price to shoot for? Right now our pickup price on DDGS is 237 a ton. That is just for our coop to pick it up we have to put fright and a margin on that product. What would you do?

Senior Member PERCY is on a distinguished road
    Chickie, since I don't know what you're feeding it to, or the prices of other feedstuffs in your area, I would be of little help, except... if you're feeding over 3#/day? I wouldn't.

Just tryin to make some decisions easier here at work. There are some hog farmers that put up to 400 lbs per ton in their rations along with other feedstuffs like soybean meal corn along with other feed additives right now the soybean meal price for us to pick up is around 265.5 a ton and corn 6.10 a bu.

Are you feeding hogs? [I'm a little dense]. The 3#'s Im referring to, is for dairy cows, cuz the fat in the DDG's is hard on the innards. Othewise, the protein gain from the Soy meal will make up for any savings with distillers. $220/ton for corn? ouch!!! Too bad you don't have some feed wheat around.

Well the thing is I work in a feedmill so we just make to feed but with the price of DDGS going up and being over 100% the value of corn itself. So we are tryin to help out the farmer that feed ddgs in to making some decision easier.

You still haven't said what type of livestock you are feeding, Chick. Nuttin's cheap anywhere, but beware , everybody's out to take advantage of somebody.

Percy we make mostly hog feed here at the feed mill some cattle feed and dairy feed but not much. Yea i know nothing is cheap anymore goin to buy food kinda sucks but i guess we have to eat too lol.

Now, its NOT my mill, but corn has lost a lot in 2 weeks. Go with corn.

yes it has and we are hopin that the price in ddgs goes down as well. Theses prices are out of the world when it comes to feeding ddgs.