AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Junior Member HuskerCM is on a distinguished road

Advise on becoming a seed dealer

Thanks for looking. I need some advise on how to become a seed dealer. Long story short,I came on board with on my inlaws farm january of this year. I've been helping out for the last five years but not full time. In order to justify me on the farm I need to find something extra for me to do. I come from sales back ground so selling seed sounds like a good fit.

I have spoke with all the major brands or players. Have narrowed it down to Syngenta and Monsanto (channel). any advise? Which company should I go with? What do I need to consider? What questions do I need to be asking? What equipment will I need starting out? should I jump into seed treatment? If so which brand?

This is my first venture on my own and want to avoid any major mistakes. Any advise or experience would be greatly appreciated.

HuskerCM

Senior Member wctyilfarmer is on a distinguished road wctyilfarmer's Avatar
    good news travels fast, bad news travels faster. don't forget to get some of db's superlube, maybe he'll repost his ad.

Senior Member PERCY is on a distinguished road
    Boy oh boy, HUSKER, seems to me that you're asking way too many ?'s to be in an advisory position. I have a very low opinion of a salesman, til he prooves himself to me. You can't buy that, you have to earn it, and that takes time, as well as a few mistakes!!! I suppose you were a Mahindra salesman prior to this???LOL

Senior Member Peeler GTFB is on a distinguished road
    I would go with Channel seems like they do a good job of training their dealers and have a good product to sell.

Syngenta seems to carry to much baggage putting out seed before it is approved and stuff like that.

Senior Member roger7 is on a distinguished road
    First Husker, you got to get the terminology right. Seed dealer is the lemon scented, good company, ag college, farm magazine title. Around here we call 'em Seed Pimps. If you sign on as a "dealer" you'll be running around picking up 20 40 50 bag orders hoping to get a few big guys who take several totes or more, but you will find the full time DSM is already selling him totes at your price.
    You going to be a farmer or a seed pimp? Time conflicts make it hard to be both. If you are a salesman find something seasonal that doesn't conflict with the farming, if that's what you want to do. R7

Banned Faust100F is on a distinguished road
    Husker CM - I think the first thing you should do is attend corn college at Farm Journal. The one course you need to get an "A" in is the one that teaches you how to bend farmers over the counter when handing them the $375 seed corn bill for 80,000 seeds of corn, or 140,000 seeds of soybeans. I would say the next thing you need to do is to learn the 30 ft. rope trick, used by pro farmers scouts so yields can be twice as good as one would get with a 15 foot rope. Lastly, you need to enroll in the "internship" at "DB Superlube" where you will learn the proper technique for applying the leading product in the world which carries a blue ribbon endorsement from bankers, equipment dealers, seed dealers, elevator operators, fuel dealers, fertilizer dealers, chemical dealers, commodity brokers, lawyers, accountant's, and all of those other noble souls who endeavor to farm the farmer.

But . . . seriously . . . I think you just do it, my seed dealer this year not only provided me with an ISU intern to keep the new seed tender (they provided free of charge) full of seed, and he was delivering seed beans at midnight some nights. They also innoculated and treated the seed, and were able to get the variety I wanted (an old RR#1 variety) I had planted several years ago. Of course I got the special bent over the counter treatment from my salesman/dealer, $41.50 for 140,000 seeds, I even had a grimacing smile when he handed me the bill. You need to be able to add value to your service.

A farmer can buy seed anywhere, but I think helping a farmer get seed in the ground faster, providing someone to oversee the account to make sure seed does not run out, and willing to take back unused treated seed, instead of making the farmer eat it, all helps to create value in the service you sell. Oh! Yeah! Use the premium quality superlube, that Db only sells to his very best customers. LMAO! Adios amigo. John

Senior Member 48 is on a distinguished road
    Husker: Find the biggest, most successful seed dealer in your area and work for him to learn the ropes. Pioneer is the best, but they only hire the best. You need to be a CCA certified crop consultant just to apply. peeler is talking about Syngenta...Golden Harvest/Garst releasing seed that wasn't approved for export, but they managed it quite well, and I know of no farmers around here that got hurt. Syngenta is a good company. Lots of farmers don't like Monsanto...Dekalb/Asgrow and the many companies they control. They don't offer company financing or agronomists. They mainly sell thru coops and the coops provide the financing and agronomists. One of my friends is one of the biggest Syngenta dealers in the US. He provides free seed tenders. Puts in good test plots. Puts on expensive field days that last til 4am. Puts on good educational meetings at nice restaurants/country clubs with nice steak dinners. Has excellent 24/7 service during planting. Has a big warehouse/shop to store seed in. If you don't want to wait for him to deliver you can go in his shop, fire up his forklift, write it on the blackboard, and go back to planting.

Banned Faust100F is on a distinguished road
    Pioneer headquarters is about five minutes from my home in DSM! I do not agree with 48 that they are the best, and that they hire the best salesmen. I personally believe they are the black sheep in the seed business and promote products which do not deliver what is promised. i.e. gray leaf spot, green snap, and a corn product that is not killing root worms or corn borers as represented by salesmen. In short, there genetics

They like any seed company exist to farm the farmer, and they are doing a good job of it in Iowa. They view farmers as idiots. I called up to find out who their dealer was in my area, and even gave them the name of the individual, and he was not on their dealer list this year. They are not competent as far as I am concerned. You can make a lot of mistakes in your business when you are selling 80,000 seeds for $425 a bag.

My brother plants their product, and was not able to get the corn planted this year due to wet weather, and he had to eat that seed corn purchased and financed by pioneer because he could not return it for credit. The same thing happened to him on seed corn purchased the year before from them. My dealer( a Dupont Company) took back all unplanted treated and innoculated seed. I think Pioneer is the bad actor in the seed business. As far as I am concerned they use 30ft. ropes or should I say they embellish the truth when selling seed. I wonder how their new drouth resistant corn is doing. I think Syngenta already has its seeds perfected. John
    Last edited by Faust100F; 11-03-2011 at 08:51 PM.

Senior Member natty is on a distinguished road natty's Avatar
    Next time you fly into town I need to visit with you.I can load the plane with "perfected" seed.I'll cut you a HELLUVA deal !

Senior Member 48 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust100F View Post
    Pioneer headquarters is about five minutes from my home in DSM! I do not agree with 48 that they are the best, and that they hire the best salesmen. I personally believe they are the black sheep in the seed business and promote products which do not deliver what is promised. i.e. gray leaf spot, green snap, and a corn product that is not killing root worms or corn borers as represented by salesmen.

They like any seed company exist to farm the farmer, and they are doing a good job of it in Iowa. They view farmers as idiots. I called up to find out who their dealer was in my area, and even gave them the name of the individual, and he was not on their dealer list this year. They are not competent as far as I am concerned. You can make a lot of mistakes in your business when you are selling 80,000 seeds for $425 a bag.

My brother plants their product, and was not able to get the corn planted this year due to wet weather, and he had to eat that seed corn purchased and financed by pioneer because he could not return it for credit. The same thing happened to him on seed corn purchased the year before from them. My dealer( a Dupont Company) took back all unplanted treated and innoculated seed. I think Pioneer is the bad actor in the seed business. As far as I am concerned they use 30ft. ropes or should I say they embellish the truth when selling seed. I wonder how their new drouth resistant corn is doing. I think Syngenta already has its seeds perfected. John
    Faust: W T F ? I thought you planted Open Pollinated Reid's Yellow Dent???????? How would you know if they worked on CB and RW? You have post after post on here ridiculing people who plant triple dipple.

FWIW, I have a drought test plot planted and production is half OP MN13 and half "J" Reid's Yellow Dent. The whole thing got the shxt hailed out of it and then the Palmer took it. I'm going to cut it to make the insurance company pay off on the CAT. Before it got hailed out, it was obvious that the OP was not going to yield with the race horses. But, out here in the desert for continuous dryland corn on corn it would have made 50 bu/a ok which beats the he!! out of summer fallow wheat since you can save your own seed corn. The Pioneer 1151 drought corn was excellent. The Golden Harvest 8708 drought corn was equally impressive. But, the GH 8864 was better than both and it's not a drought corn. Both the 8708 and 8864 would stop you on the road with their dark green color. You could see it to the line. But, harvest results show that the P1151 did excellent on dryland, limited irrigation, and full irrigation. On irrigation I'm waiting for my buddy to cut GH9173 which should make 276bu/a easy...except the test weight may knock it down. The P1395 is just an absolute dog.

My GH dealer is the best in the world, but my P dealer is also damn good. He provides seed tenders too. And, I have never had any problem returning Pioneer seed...not ever.

When you said your dealer was a Dupont company, I think you prolly meant to say Monsanto??? cuz Dupont owns Pioneer. lol. I have a Cleveland that says I can pick a Pioneer variety that will beat any company's hybrid you want to choose. You wanna bet? I have zero/nada/zilch affiliation with Pioneer. If you're using a Monsanto flavor, I will make the same bet with you that I can pick a Syngenta corn that will kick it's azz. Wanna bet?