+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Senior Member 48 is on a distinguished road

Dairy Rations With Wheat

dairyfarmmn: In another thread you said several dairies around you were feeding wheat. Post us one of their typical wheat rations. TIA.

Senior Member Smallest Dairy Farmer is on a distinguished road Smallest Dairy Farmer's Avatar
    48.........I know you didn't ask me.......but even if there is a good wheat ration out there.......what's the point? wheat is just as high as corn......wondering too.
    Last edited by Smallest Dairy Farmer; 10-14-2011 at 01:43 PM.

Moderator drdiederich is on a distinguished road drdiederich's Avatar
    In front of one of my computers or on my phone...
    I am currently feeding wheat and have been for about two months. I am feeding 6.82lbs/cow rolled wheat, 4 lbs ground dry corn, 9.28 lbs haylage, 22 lbs corn silage, 1.2 lbs molasses, 2.86lbs soybean meal, 2.86 lbs distillers, 2.4lbs canola meal, .6lbs blood meal, .3lbs pork meal, and various minor amounts of energy booster, vitamins, smartamine, fat, urea and rumensin totaling 54.5lbs total DM weight. All values are on a DM basis and the ration is balanced for 85lbs milk with a 4.2% fat test and 3.2%protein test.

Senior Member dairyfarmmn is on a distinguished road
    48: You know me, right? We've talked on the phone and exchanged emails, right? And you know what season it is, right? And you know what I do that I probably shouldn't be doing anymore but i love doing it so I do it, right? So come on feller, cut me a little slack here!!! I know, I know you wouldn't be a-hole #2 if you didn't give me a hard time. lol I saw you asked for it in another thread but been busy to post one up. Just looking at diedrich's ration would have to say that is pretty close to what people are/were feeding around here. Just divde their numbers by the %DM to get each feed on a "as fed" basis.

dman

Senior Member dairyfarmmn is on a distinguished road
    drdiedrich, can we get a location for you?

I am in NE Wisconsin in Hobart... at the SW corner of the Green Bay airport if you have ever been in the area.

My first inclination was to respond "my living room" but I thought I would leave my sarcasm for another time.

Senior Member pldairy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by drdiederich View Post
    I am in NE Wisconsin in Hobart... at the SW corner of the Green Bay airport if you have ever been in the area.
    heck hes almost in Larrys back door! welcome on board!

Is he the one in Door County?

Senior Member Smallest Dairy Farmer is on a distinguished road Smallest Dairy Farmer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by drdiederich View Post
    I am currently feeding wheat and have been for about two months. I am feeding 6.82lbs/cow rolled wheat, 4 lbs ground dry corn, 9.28 lbs haylage, 22 lbs corn silage, 1.2 lbs molasses, 2.86lbs soybean meal, 2.86 lbs distillers, 2.4lbs canola meal, .6lbs blood meal, .3lbs pork meal, and various minor amounts of energy booster, vitamins, smartamine, fat, urea and rumensin totaling 54.5lbs total DM weight. All values are on a DM basis and the ration is balanced for 85lbs milk with a 4.2% fat test and 3.2%protein test.
    Don't suppose that would work as well with alfalfa hay though as the main forage with some millet hay? Welcome aboard!!