AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Member TO35 is on a distinguished road TO35's Avatar

West Texas Cotton Pictures

This is my "good"cotton. Watered it all year. Full P and K application. About 75% of normal N. Reduced N rate to save money. I honestly wish I had not spent a dime on fertilizer at this point.

This cotton was irrigated once with approximately 1.5". Just enough to get it to emerge. I applied a little P and K last fall. No N.

This is my dryland cotton. This pic was taken in August.

This was taken today. Planted forage sorghum and finally got a rain to get it up about two weeks ago.

Senior Member davidm479 is on a distinguished road
    how long till frost--------dave

Senior Member The Duke is on a distinguished road
    TO35, what desert do you live in. waiting to see your camel herd. HEHE
    feel bad for ya man.

Duke

Banned Faust100F is on a distinguished road
    When do you combine the wheat? Before or after the cotton is harvested? John

Senior Member roger7 is on a distinguished road
    Do you plant the cover crop the same time as the cotton? R7

Quote Originally Posted by davidm479 View Post
    how long till frost--------dave
    Probably a month away. But I have had freeze damage on peanuts as early as Oct. 20.

Faust and Roger, That is actually rye planted for a cover crop. It was planted last fall after cotton harvest. I have never tried to harvest wheat/rye and grow cotton behind it in the same year. I have seen it done in our area, but we just really don't have the water availability for it.

Senior Member ECI is on a distinguished road ECI's Avatar
    TO , Man you need to talk to la345 , he raises cotton and it looks alot better than yours , ( Sorry but the truth ) he's a agronomist and graduated from corn college in 2010 ! I think he is your go to guy .

BTW it looks like you need to also talk to your local weed scientist about all that stuff in your cotton , the one you have been useing is costing you big bucks ! LOL Ken

Banned Faust100F is on a distinguished road
    Why is a cover crop planted on NHEL farmland? To control the dust, wind erosion, or to retain moisture? Why wouldn't prior year crop residue not be sufficient ground cover?

ECI - no doubt about it Kevin is a great cotton farmer, but there is one major difference. Mainly excess moisture is usually a problem in Louisiana and plenty of water exists for Irrigation, In West Texas it is a different world. I think the crops of TO look pretty good considering the disaster that occurred and is continuing in that region. Kinda looks like Southern Ioway looked in 88. I am surprised that there is a green shoot anywhere. By the way . . . I am glad you reconsidered jumping into the snapping rolls on your combine, now that Anna has Ag Web server problems resolved. Is it true you are taking a correspondence course developed by db on how to raise corn in Indiana? Did db send you a free can of superlube? LMAO! John
    Last edited by Faust100F; 10-06-2011 at 06:07 AM.