AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Uncle Cracker is on a distinguished road
    SDF a good QUICK variety that does not lodge is GA/GH 3311. Been growing it for years. It is an old Taylor Evans variety. Was GA 3383. It is a cream seed. Have all mine contracted at $1.00 over elevater price and they will have trucks on the turn-row.

Senior Member 48 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by nodaddy View Post
    df, believe it or not, I had the same question you had......why doesn't SDF just grow corn?
    ND: Believe it or not, but I've got the same answer for you. She's bordering on the desert part of ND. She doesn't get 45-60" of rain like you do in WI. lol.

nodaddy
    LOL. 45-60" of rain.

BTW, I love the desert, but only if it's attached to a resort.

Quote Originally Posted by nodaddy View Post
    LOL. 45-60" of rain.

BTW, I love the desert, but only if it's attached to a resort.
    ND: LMAO. That would be Las Vegas and Palm Springs, CA.

SDF: Check this out from NDSU Cooperative Extension:

[url]http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/procrop/spc/sorghu03.htm[/url]

Senior Member Smallest Dairy Farmer is on a distinguished road Smallest Dairy Farmer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dennis1 View Post
    Get the swathing ***** out of the question....it'll rain(or snow) and the stuff will rot before it ever dries down...AND if you
    are lucky enough to get it dried down before moisture event, "think" about the amount of material going through the
    combine....corn and soybean combines grain augers wear out---wheat and milo combines sheet metal wears/cracks out
    from all the material...the "book" doesn't show any insurance....and you will then add another $ amount per acre for
    swathing...a set of milo guards (NOT richardson) will do just fine, unless you are attempting to be #1 milo grower of the region

Man.........you're a straight shooter here.............LOL love it! Swathing will be out of the question for all the reasons you stated. No reason to do that if it nature can freeze dry it. I of course never have heard of milo guards...........and if I am the only milo grower of the region I will be # 1...........piece of cake. ......... LOL Where would you suggest I get milo guards living up here? Online? Actually one of the people I show with.............did try milo years ago and said it was to hard on the equipment.

Sorry for going AWOL after the dentist everyone! I've have a word file that I'm pasting all this info into to save.

Senior Member Smallest Dairy Farmer is on a distinguished road Smallest Dairy Farmer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 48 View Post
    SDF: Check this out from NDSU Cooperative Extension:

[url]http://www.ag.ndsu.edu/procrop/spc/sorghu03.htm[/url]

48, This is a good read...I bet that since the article was written, a lot of new varities have come up. The situation with establishment is identical with millet, which we grow every year. Spring plow and pony drill with a grass seeder attachment gives us the best weed control to get it going plus it gets the soil warm at least 10 days sooner. Got in real late with millet this year.......middle June but plowed it in. Sometime Mr. Smallest likes to hurry with worked ground and come in with the wide drill. It has a grass seeder on it as well. Always more weedy that way. Millet was good this year. We also have courser soil,so the pony drill is ideal as it gets established faster, especially if it will not rain before the millet comes up. Rather see it up before a rain. That's when spring moisture is already good.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Cracker View Post
    SDF a good QUICK variety that does not lodge is GA/GH 3311. Been growing it for years. It is an old Taylor Evans variety. Was GA 3383. It is a cream seed. Have all mine contracted at $1.00 over elevater price and they will have trucks on the turn-row.
    Where & how would I get a hold of this GA/GH 3311? We really need something that does not lodge. Yesterday, It rained all day and blew 45 miles an hr out of the NW. I drove all the way to Bismarck in rain & at the end of the day all the way home in the wind and rain. Kept thinking of the H**********ll that would do if we had Milo out there near to harvest. Near blew my little car off the road!!
    The cream seed is the best it seems.

Uncle Cracker.......that's a cool name. What's up with the name? You been at the business for a long time? Name sounds all down homey. We love our visits to Dallas to see our oldest son.

SDF: I perused the NDSU and SDSU Cooperative Extension websites looking for yield data on grain sorghum and found nothing. I perused the Pioneer catalog, and they have varieties for SD but not ND. Soooo....that tells me that you would be on the very fringe of the area of adaptability. If there are any farmers around you growing milo, obviously, you would want to talk to them. On the NDSU corn variety trials, it looks like 88 day corn is prevalent. So, I looked at the Pioneer website and small pocket seed catalog. BTW, the small pocket seed catalog has more info than the big catalog. The shortest season milo that they have is 95 day. This is 7 days more than the 88 day corn. One of the things you would be highly interested in on the northern fringe of adaptability would be the COLOR score/rating. Color Rating means the variety's ability to mature under cool weather. I came up with 8925 which is 95day, but it is a RED milo. 88Y41 is 97 day and is a cream/white milo which would prolly be better for dairy. Both have excellent color scores=8 (9=Best). If you can grow millet up there, you can grow milo. But, this is going to be tricky. No till is out. You need conventional till so the soil will warm up fast. The minute the soil temp hits 60 deg at seeding depth, sock it in the ground. Don't plant it too deep. It needs to be in good soil moisture, but not to deep. I like to have 1" of wet dirt on top of it. Don't go too shallow, or you will have rootless syndrome. But, it's not like corn where you can go 2" deep and get it up. Corn has a lot of push. Don't go over 1 1/2" deep. Put down Bicep Lite 30-45 days pre-plant. Incorporate it with rain or a field cultivator. Before the milo is 5" tall apply 1/2# ATZ+8oz Banvel...real Banvel...NOT Clarity. If the field has a grass problem, apply 2 pt of Prowl H20 at this time. Prowl H20 will wait for a rain to incorporate it. If you have severe weed problems, you can use Callisto both pre and post. Do NOT apply Prowl until the milo is 5" tall. If you apply Prowl pre, it will kill the seedling milo. Once the milo is established, it's no problem. You can plant side by sides of both of the above varieties. Also, you can put a side by side of 87G57 (102day). You can get free plot bags from your Pioneer dealer and just do a little test plot the first year to see if it's going to work at all before you go whole hog. I commend you for thinking outside the box. If you have any trouble getting free plot bags let me know. I have one of the best Pioneer dealers in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by 48 View Post
    SDF: If you're going to grow milo, you have to get the vernacular right. It's Bindweed On A Stick. lol.
    48, Wonderful info posts going on here........but now who do I believe.......I have to roll Milo? That will make a problem vs grinding. We have a grinder. We don't have enough bins for a big load that has to go 60 mile round to get rolled. Plus for my few cows it would be too much ground at one time.......villageidiot just posted that ''Milo is hard seed and takes a fine screen' Flax is very hard seed, slippery, & flax is flat, not even round. I'm sure that screen will grind the Milo. I realize the dust makes my eyes swell...........LOL not the cows.