AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    Senior Member ECI is on a distinguished road ECI's Avatar
    Sorry SDF but I just could not help myself from mess'n alittle with my Kansas friends , LOL thoughts boys out there and the southern guy's will tell you everything you need to know about milo , Good Luck , Ken

Senior Member dennis1 is on a distinguished road
    Get the swathing ***** out of the question....it'll rain(or snow) and the stuff will rot before it ever dries down...AND if you
    are lucky enough to get it dried down before moisture event, "think" about the amount of material going through the
    combine....corn and soybean combines grain augers wear out---wheat and milo combines sheet metal wears/cracks out
    from all the material...the "book" doesn't show any insurance....and you will then add another $ amount per acre for
    swathing...a set of milo guards (NOT richardson) will do just fine, unless you are attempting to be #1 milo grower of the region

Senior Member Uncle Cracker is on a distinguished road
    SDF the varieties I plant are Pioneer 85Y40 and Golden Acres 3311. The milo crop looks bad compaired to normal. Will make about half as much as normal and have put twice the normal amout of irrigation on it. The pivots were started as soon as planted and have never been turned off all summer. I have had several people already wanting to graze or bale the stalks after harvest. May make as much on the stalks as the grain.

Senior Member pldairy is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallest Dairy Farmer View Post
    With the mollasses, I bet that was yummy. That's pretty far North. Do you know the kind it was or could you find out?'
    if i remember right ,it was golden harvest,dont know the #s but it was an early type

Senior Member Smallest Dairy Farmer is on a distinguished road Smallest Dairy Farmer's Avatar
    Why don't we plant corn? Well to keep costs of growing down. Only know of one year dryers don't have to run. As 48 says seeds are cheaper. Yes we can plug the holes on the drills. The last years aren't normal. Normal for here is usually some drouth time. My brother and all of you tell me milo can take drouth better. I can see that swathing is not an option. 31/2 months is doable in the SW part of the state...we go 7 to 10 days earlier than the rest of the state. Thought/thinking about corn but lots more risks there. Just the way milo heads are up in the air vs corn gives them more chance to be dry or dried after a frost...........sunflowers here must have a hard frost as well. No one combines them before killing frosts. Sometimes the weather gets you and sometime it doesnt'. Lot's more to say/ask but got to get to the dentist today. will be back on subject tonight. Thanks ....all of you. Ken...that's OK ............LOL as long as you own up & don't let me go wrong. And I want more info on the sickles.

Senior Member 48 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Smallest Dairy Farmer View Post
    Got that darn....."You don't have permission to perform this act"garbage.........boy if I wouldn't copy before I post...........I'd have been so peeazzed, so I WILL copy this too....SIGH..................
    SDF: That has been a problem on this new site since day one. Over in Lounge Anna has a thread: "How To Make AW Better." Post your complaint on that thread.

Quote Originally Posted by dairyfarmmn View Post
    OK SDF, really dumb question here, but if you have the acres to grow milo, and you want it for feed, when not just grow corn?

dairyfarmmn: Cuz she's in the SW part of C ND, and milo is a surer crop than corn...a$$ U Me ing she's not too far N period. You are a lot further east into the rain in S MN. lol.

SDF: Cows are cows whether dairy are not. Set a bucket of corn and a bucket of milo in front of a Stein and tell me which one they go for first. No...make that a Black Angus. Steins are so stupid, they would prolly go for what they're used to. lol. I know for a fact that beef cattle will go for the milo every time. You can feed corn whole...not recommended....whereas milo HAS to be rolled...not ground...to get the most good out of it. Do NOT disk those milo stalks up. Free graze them or swath/bale them and sell them or run them thru a tub grinder and add them to your ration. Read uncle cracker's comments. Milo stalks are far superior to corn stalks. Just watch nitrates. Don't swath lower than 8". Do not swath the milo for grain harvest. lol. You can put fingers on a wheat header, but a JD853A row crop head is best. I don't know if you are too far north or not. Check ND ST test plots. IMHO, over the years SD ST extension has better info. Sooo...you might check SD ST cooperative extension on the web for test plot results on milo for varieties to plant. Down here I would only recommend Pioneer...85G46 and 85Y40 is better. Don't mess around with a drill. You can buy 3pt JD7100 planters for $1000 all day long. But, don't mess around with JD metering cups. Buy Kinze brush meters. Some one said milo seed is like buckshot. Weeellll...the smallest bucket shot there is, is No.4 buck, and it is .22 in diameter. Milo seed is much smaller. It would be more like No. 2 shot. In general figure 16.500seeds/#. Down here on dryland, I plant about 3#/a which is about 50,000 s/a on dryland....100,000s/a irrigated. KSU says 35,000s/a dryland and 70,000s/a irr for W KS. You don't want to over plant milo cuz it tillers/stools out. If you plant it too thick, it will go down for sure. Your biggest problem with milo is up north, you're going to have to go with an early season maturity, and all maturities of milo have a tendency to lodge, but early maturities are the worst at lodging. Just keep asking away til you know all you want to know. Did I mention that in addition to being the No. 1 wheat state, KS is also the No. 1 milo state? lol. Did I mention that milo itches and will swell your...not the cows...eyes shut??? lol.

SDF: If you're going to grow milo, you have to get the vernacular right. It's Bindweed On A Stick. lol.

nodaddy
    df, believe it or not, I had the same question you had......why doesn't SDF just grow corn?