+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: orbeseal

Senior Member Gerald is on a distinguished road

orbeseal

We use orbeseal when we put our cows dry. It works good as a teat sealant but we have a lot of problems with residue. It's pretty tough stuff to clean off the inside of the pipeline. Dip on sealants don't seem as effective but don't have the residue problems of orbeseal. Any thoughts or sugestions about this problem.

[url]https://animalhealth.pfizer.com/sites/pahweb/US/EN/Products/Pages/Orbeseal%c2%ae.aspx[/url]

nodaddy
    We always thought Orbeseal was too expensive, so never got into it. JMHO. Of course don't listen to me, our SCC is in the 600's.

Speaking of which, we quit using that paper sludge bedding and went back to sawdust. SCC dropped back into the 500's. Gotta start somewhere. I know it won't go down anywhere near as fast as it went up. We were going to get a guy out to check for stray voltage, but found out it costs $1,400 just to have the guy grace your driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by nodaddy View Post
    We always thought Orbeseal was too expensive, so never got into it. JMHO. Of course don't listen to me, our SCC is in the 600's.

Speaking of which, we quit using that paper sludge bedding and went back to sawdust. SCC dropped back into the 500's. Gotta start somewhere. I know it won't go down anywhere near as fast as it went up. We were going to get a guy out to check for stray voltage, but found out it costs $1,400 just to have the guy grace your driveway.
    Do you use a teat sealant? For the month of July our SCC ranged from 166 - 264 it was at 174 on Aug 3.

nodaddy
    No. Never did. Our SCC was never what I call great, but it was in the 250-300 range for quite some time before it started hanging around closer to 350......& all of a sudden it was in the 600's in June. No fresh cow mastitis. That's why we always questioned why folks use sealants........do you have a lot of fresh cow mastitis?

Our only clinical mastitis lately has been a stepped-on teat, a cow with moderate ecoli (enough to abort her but not kill her, and she is milking well again), and a few other minor cases of abnormal milk. It's scary to think that our SCC could be that high and the filter looks good and there is little evidence of clinicals.

Have you tested your high cell count cows for staph? We usually test the high cows once or twice a year. Chronic and staph cows get put on the DNB list and culled.

nodaddy
    We don't even test anymore, Gerald. Testing was a victim of the dairy depression of '09. Haven't really missed it. We've never had staph show up on bulk tank cultures (years ago). Bulk tank cultures I thought was another waste of money. We've been putting off testing all cows for SCC, was going to see if the new bedding would make improvements. We just started using the new bedding about ten days ago. Does staph have any clinical signs?

Sorry this has nothing to do with orbaseal, but another thing we could try is CMT all the cows. Kinda a PITA, but somewhat cheap and will give us an idea of how many cows are affected.
    Last edited by nodaddy; 08-05-2011 at 08:21 PM.

Well, if I was having high cell counts SCC testing and staph testing would be a priority.

Our DHI will do SCC tests for $0.44 per sample and mastitis tests for $19.00. The following is from their website. "The Mastitis 3 test identifies the presence of the three major mastitis pathogens commonly referred to as the “contagious” pathogens, specifically Staph. aureus, Strep. agalactiae and Mycoplasma bovis. In addition, where Staph. aureus is detected the presence or absence of the beta lactamase gene, which conveys penicillin resistance, is reported."

Senior Member PERCY is on a distinguished road
    We run a tank test every month, called a blue dot, that tests for everything. Costs $10.00 each. When we have a problem, we'll do it once/week, till we find the culprits. Our dairy samples and delivers the samples for us. this is NOT a waste of money,just a routine expense.

nodaddy
    Our vet did not think we have Mycoplasma. We have a closed herd. We could have staph, but if I were to guess, I would say we have environmental issues from using the type of bedding we used this summer, (this bedding is new to us), coupled with the high humidity.

It's Friday night and my ambition levels are at an all-time low right now, but you are correct, if it doesn't come down to a liveable level in the next few weeks, we need to move on it.

nodaddy
    PERCY, we don't get such service from our plant......our fieldman hasn't said anything to us and we had one SCC of 690. Is it because it's a cheese plant? I don't know. When the vet sends a bulk tank culture, it's way more than $10....and seems like it took forever to get the answer back.