+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Member AgChick is on a distinguished road
    we do raise black angus cattle and they still got it and my uncle has red angus. we are treating them with la 200 and we also put aureo 50 with prophos 8 mineral. we have them pened up since most of the calves have patches over their eyes so they can stay close to their moms. With talking to other people around this area we arent the only ones that have calves with pink eye. They are sayin most of it is because of all the water that we have standing around that its making it hard to keep it under control.

Senior Member 48 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by AgChick View Post
    we do raise black angus cattle and they still got it and my uncle has red angus. we are treating them with la 200 and we also put aureo 50 with prophos 8 mineral. we have them pened up since most of the calves have patches over their eyes so they can stay close to their moms. With talking to other people around this area we arent the only ones that have calves with pink eye. They are sayin most of it is because of all the water that we have standing around that its making it hard to keep it under control.
    AgChick: That is my worst nightmare...Angus with pinkeye. lol. Has a vet confirmed that this is in fact pinkeye? There are other diseases out there that mimic it. It sounds like you are doing everything you can. Everybody's situation is different, and you know what works best for you, BUT I don't like the idea of penning them up. Mama can find the blind calf and vv. The manure is the source of breeding for horn/face flies. You might want to consider using one of the many Altosids to break up the life cycles of the flies. I'm sure you are already using fly ear tags. You want to rotate these as the flies build up resistance. Also, make them walk thru bullets to get to water & mineral for fly control. What did you vaccinate with the first time? You might try Schering Plough Animal Health=Intervet=Piliguard Pinkeye TriView. They advertise it for 103 different strains. Also, they have a pour on=UltraBoss. Their ear tags are Double Barrel VP. But, with all eartags you want to check the active ingredient and rotate each year. There's not a lot you can do about standing water short of hot wiring them out, but the big problem here can be foot rot. I love LA200. It's oxytetracycline. Aureomycin is chlortetracycline. The problem with LA200 is it's been around a long time. If it doesn't do the job try Draxin. Let us know how you make out. r3020 mentioned Vitamin A. That's easy to supplement, and you should, if you keep them penned up. Out on good green grass pasture, they get plenty of Vitamin A. Good luck.

I was asked to reply because of my sign on name but 48 took all my suggestion LOL.

Angus can get pink eye, just not as frequently as some other breds. With this wide an outbreak you may have a similar contagest disease. I would do everything 48 suggests and keep the your vet informed. I would keep them in a smaller pasture rather than in a pen. Also wathc for flies around the eyes, they may be transmitting a disease simaler to pink eye. Your vet shoudl be able to get a sample to verify the exact disease. I would recommend this if none of the suggested treaments begin to show progress on controling the problem.

Senior Member johndeere-girl is on a distinguished road johndeere-girl's Avatar
    We used to use a gentocin spray, prescribed by our vet. This was back about 6-8 years ago and it worked real well. Not sure you can get it any more as gentocin is highly restricted.

Back in the early '60's we had a Hereford herd, and it was my job to treat pinkeye. We had a yellow powder in a plastic squeeze bottle, and you would squirt it in their eyes. I swore I would never have Herefords after that. lol. I assume this was a sulfa drug of some sort. More recently...years ago we were loading steers, and I flat got run over by a big brown steer. I was standing my ground, and just before I got splattered, my buddy yells: He's blind. He can't see you. lol. More recently me and my best friend had a parting of the ways over a blind Black Baldy. Soooo...I have zero tolerance for pinkeye. lol.

I thought I had solved everything by going primarily Black and Red Angus steers and mixing A50+rock salt for the few white faces. And, it has been working great. Then...I hear of pinkeye in Angus. lol.

Tim recommends LA200 right in the eye. I would put the LA200 in a plastic squeeze bottle and put a few drops in each eye. iadave says they used to spray iodine and combiotic 20-30'. I don't know about the iodine, but combiotic is penicillin. Seems reasonable that a few drops in each eye might work. JDG says Gentocin. They have an opthamalic spray for dogs. You need a prescription from a vet.

That's what I love about agweb. Lots of good ideas.

Senior Member iadave is on a distinguished road
    I am not positive it was iodine but it was a very dark blue color. The guy I worked for said to get around and in the eye. He said the dark color around the eye would cause it to get warmer and kill the pinkeye. He said the dark color and thus warmer temperature is why the angus did not get pinkeye. He was just an old famer but he knew a lot of old tricks for cattle so I usually took his word for things.

Member AgChick is on a distinguished road
    Well we put them back out to pasture yesterday after we sprayed them once more with a purple spray. Some of the calves are getting better were are some of them not so good. We even noticed that one of our older cows can gotten it along with our bull. So we sprayed those to just to keep it down. And yes we got a vet out there to look at the calves and he did say we had a cause of pink eye in the heard. We only had the cows and calves penned up for a day so that we could watch them and get them all the the mineral and salt to them. they also have to go into that pen to get water so thats were we set up the mineral. The vet also gave us a differnt vac for all that calves so they all got a booster shot. So well see what happens in the next couple of days. We plan on going up there again tonight to see how they are getting along out there.

Senior Member johndeere-girl is on a distinguished road johndeere-girl's Avatar
    48 -you are right. You do need a extra lable prescription for gentocin to use as a pink eye treatment, but it did work extremely well.

nodaddy
    Our vet gives a 1cc injection of gentocin right under the eyelid, and LA-200 in the muscle. Clears up any pinkeye we ever had.

Quote Originally Posted by AgChick View Post
    Well we put them back out to pasture yesterday after we sprayed them once more with a purple spray. Some of the calves are getting better were are some of them not so good. We even noticed that one of our older cows can gotten it along with our bull. So we sprayed those to just to keep it down. And yes we got a vet out there to look at the calves and he did say we had a cause of pink eye in the heard. We only had the cows and calves penned up for a day so that we could watch them and get them all the the mineral and salt to them. they also have to go into that pen to get water so thats were we set up the mineral. The vet also gave us a differnt vac for all that calves so they all got a booster shot. So well see what happens in the next couple of days. We plan on going up there again tonight to see how they are getting along out there.
    AgChick: What is the purple spray??? Is this a spray in the eye? What was the company/specs on the original vaccination and the booster? Thanx.