AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Our SCC

nodaddy

Our SCC

Well, as you all know, our SCC was never anything to brag about. In the low-mid 300's. So in case they passed that new legislation, we tried to get it down. We:

1) changed to a supposedly better pre-dip;

2) started using cloth towels instead of paper;

3) changed our vacuum so the take-off's come off a little quicker;

4) put in a variable speed pump (needed a new pump anyhow, didn't really think a vsr pump would help SCC.)

5) started bedding the freestalls more often.

After a couple months, our SCC is now.......drumroll.......mid 500's.

I think we have stray voltage, even though I'm not usually one to jump on that wagon. What else could it be? I'm stumped.

Senior Member larrydc is on a distinguished road
    When you talked about fans you mentioned 68 stall barn. When you talk cow #s you say 190 cows. If these #s are accurate you can't crowd 250% and have comfortable cows. Stressed cows = high SCC.
    Larry

nodaddy
    No, larry, the newer freestall barn is attached to an older one. We are overcrowded, but not by that much. We have 145 cows milking and have 120 stalls. So 15 - 20% overcrowded.

I know that's not good, but would it cause SCC to be in the 500's? We operated this way for over ten years, and just this year it skyrocketed.

15-20 % should be ok but if the stalls are smal allies narrow and cow laying in the crap with the heat we had I would say that is your problem, and open those curtains and let some fresh air in the barn. Do you have a open ridge?
    Larry

nodaddy
    Cows don't lay in the crap in the barns, the extra cows just stand around, in the daytime in summer. At night, though, the extra cows lay in the cowyard, and that gets crappy by morning. But this has always been the case. I just don't know why now would be the big spike. We have an open ridge. The old freestall barn gets used 100%.

Since we stopped testing, I have no idea if all the cows are bad, or if most are good and just some are REALLY bad, or what. I'm thinking of sending say 20 in to the milk plant at a time for testing (or how many they will accept at a time), and get some sort of idea how many cows are bad.....before I go down the stray voltage route, which we have already been tested by the wolf himself, a few years back when our cell count was getting up there. The electric company found none at that time.

I think you can do a one time scc only with DHIA. If you have a open ridge you need those curtains open this time of year and unless it is below zero Pete leaves our down 3-4 inches or more all winter. Cows standing around unless they are eating is not good.
    Larry

nodaddy
    Yes, we could do that, too. It would be faster. We just started shutting the curtains on around the first of July after we got fans, because otherwise the cows would not enter the newer freestall building in the daytime. They never did. We closed the end doors, too, and now they are all laying down. After 11 years, they are finally laying down much more, and now our SCC spikes. Frustrating. The air is better in there now than before, even with the doors closed and curtains up.

I heard that Krahn's put black curtains in their new freestall building, because they had the same problem.

I know cows standing around is not good. We have feet and leg problems. Always did. Maybe should sell the overage? Then what if their feet/legs are still crappy. Then we are out 25 cows.

We just had 11 heifer calves in a row, since Jul 4. Bittersweet to think that these calves might still be around when we sell out in less than ten years or whenever....

Senior Member linsal is on a distinguished road
    I'd suggest a bulk tank culture to see what you're dealing with...depending on what you find, it might point you in the right direction. It's just another tool to use.
    “It was self-serving politicians who convinced recent generations of Americans that we could all stand in a circle with our hands in each other’s pockets and somehow get rich.”

Paul Harvey, Radio Broadcaster

nodaddy
    True, linsal, haven't done that in awhile. Good point.

Senior Member pldairy is on a distinguished road
    are you still useing that paper waste for beding? that might be the problem,ya need to bed with sand,and add quick lime to the sand
    also maybe you are to crowded and you have a steady sorce of stress.
    stray voltage?wouldnt rule it out,it may be comming from off farm? and useing your place to enter the system BTDT, took 3 years to find it
    are your cows up on were shots?