+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Senior Member davidm479 is on a distinguished road

what kind of planter do you use

looks like Greg is a moving stuff around agin oh well new is better aaa most of the time anyway lets start this thread off here is a question for everbody what kind of tilage do you do ?? no till or covenconal what kind of equipment do you use I am mainly convenal but do have a 7000seres notill planter and a marles notill drill so I can do what the weather dictakis me too----------------dave

CIH 1200

No better corn no-till planter than CIH offset disk openers IMO. But the seed metering blows. Not much better than the CIH 900 with seed spacing. We raise 200 bu corn with it in no-till. Mixing up some tillage this year on wet farms. Went from almost exlusively tillage to complete no-till (7years) back to selective tillage on wet farms.

Still looking for the "dream planter"

It would be row cleanesr, CIH offset disks, rebounders, 1 spiked closing wheel, 1 cast closing wheel, drag chain maybe, JD seed metering/percision, with kinze fold, central fill, liquid on the seed. It doesn't exist. "If you build it, the farmers will come"

Beans use JD drills. Raised 72 bu beans with them. Spacing does suck. But their simplicity, bulk fill and punching the calculator to determine population(ha!) are loads of fun. I liked the 7.5" rows for nongmo. It will be pricey this year with RR treated beans. May plug up a gang to plant 15".

Ideal bean planter to me looks like a great plains. Option of twin row beans is cool. Or a configuration that allows for sprayer tracks. It also has the central fill (don't like narrow tires). It meters beans very well. It has the CIH offset openers, too. Rather see it fold like a 1790. Row cleaners and undetermined closing wheels.

Senior Member Iowa55 is on a distinguished road
    WHITE... Pretty much says it all. The rest are just want-a-be's. You get to pick your style of bar. Center fill or not, most any type of row cleaners and more options of closers. If run level once you find the first seed you know where the rest are.

Senior Member jabber1 is on a distinguished road
    Have a Kinze made in 1998 (2700?). 16- 30" row corn and 32- 15" row beans. Like it except the maintenance. Kinze has had a bad history of supplying bearings with a short life for the transmission. I really like some things about the design but the stupidity of not providing quality parts might cost Kinze a planter sale some day. My corn units and seed tubes are parts from Precision Planting.

On the drill and the calculator comment. Many add a photocell to a few of the rows and can count population with their planter monitor. Also have the benefit of actually knowing when the drill is out of beans and how many acres are actually planted. If don't miss setting population on a drill a bit.

Senior Member r3020 is on a distinguished road r3020's Avatar
    Jd 1760....

Senior Member JDMax is on a distinguished road
    jd 7200, notill corn, conventenal beans.

looking for the pontoon attachment after yesterday and last night

Senior Member verbatime is on a distinguished road verbatime's Avatar
    Doing a project now for the guy who invented the rebounder... he also offerers wheel scrappers. I'll ask him about the pontoon attachment.

Senior Member JDMax is on a distinguished road
    Thanks Verb, the scrapers sounds like a good idea, too

Senior Member r3020 is on a distinguished road r3020's Avatar
    Water doesn't stick.

Senior Member ECI is on a distinguished road ECI's Avatar
    Well this year I went to the open ditch and got a NEW willow branch ! Going to put the point on it today ! We also are going from the 5 gallon bucket to a two and a half , afraid that the 5 gallon will be to much weight to carry across the mud bog's . Ken