AgWeb Farm Journal Legacy Project Top Producer Dairy Today Beef Today Pro Farmer Ag Day TV US Farm Report MyMachinery.com Ultimate Farm Quest
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member EDWARD1 is on a distinguished road

taking down silo

I have a 20X60 wood silo about 2/3 full of cs I would like to take down. considering going up and cutting around it and trying to pull the top part off. probably a very stupid idea but does anyone think this would work?

Senior Member larrydc is on a distinguished road
    My opinion is that you are very right on you very stupid analogy.LOL It would be like standing inside a hollow to cut it down, it will collapse on you. That said I don't have a safe idea.
    Larry

Senior Member glowplug is on a distinguished road
    Plan A. Buy some feeders, hire some young lads with strong backs, put an elevator under the chute and have them pitch down the silage into a feeder wagon.

Plan B - If the silage is spoiled, have them pitch down the silage, running it into a manure spreader and land spread it. Rent one of those portable skytracker lifts to attatch a cable and pull the empty silo over from a distance. Film at 11.

Plan C - Hire a backhoe, demolish the silo from a safe distance. BTW, those original redwood staves were awesome lumber.

Plan D - Explosives - not the best of my ideas but if you film this and post it on agweb, the males on here would love it.

Glowplug

Senior Member PERCY is on a distinguished road
    SIXTY FEET?? Our country was full of these, but 32 feet was the standard height.Does this silo have wooden bands, or steel bands? FTI, GLOW, most all the wood was Douglas Fir, 2x6 tongue and groove, KNOT FREE, straight grain. Redwood, a cedar, was too weak a lumber.

Yup, thanks for spuring my memories. It was doug fir. I rented a neigbor's farm and filled his 12 X ? one year. Every Saturday, my slaves and I pitched enough to fill a feeder wagon. A lot of work but at the time, money was a bit tight. It served our needs at the time.

Eventually, the silo blew down solving the demolition question. The wood was still pretty good and it was recycled in various projects.

Glowplug

Senior Member linsal is on a distinguished road
    I like GP's plan C. A farm in the area took down a 20x80 Harvestor that way (using a tracked excavator). I drove by on my way to town and he was just starting to tear a hole in the side about 20' up (with what appeared to be hay silage inside). When I came home, the structure was laying on it's side.

We took down a 14x60 cement stave silo which was damaged in a barn fire (but it was empty). I crawled up the silo and hooked a cable to one of the upper hoops. We hooked the other end on to the winch on my cousin's JD 450 dozer. After knocking out about half the staves, the silo came down safely, in the direction we wanted it to go. Nice Saturday afternoon project.

Whatever you decide to do, be safe!
    Last edited by linsal; 04-19-2011 at 03:17 PM.

Yeah, but Plan D will make a far better show for us agwebbies.

And linsal, when dairyfarmmn sees your post on that big blue steel tube coming down, he's gonna be in funk for a week or so.
    Well serves him right for sending all this partly cloudy to WI. Visibility is less than 1/8 mile here right now. Dagnabbit!

Glowplug

Member BSFarms is on a distinguished road
    We took down an old poured concrete with dynamite when I was little. Was pretty neat, just make sure it falls right way. Ours turned and looked like it was gonna hit barn. It didn't, but dad was a little worried. I'm waiting for a tornado to hit mine.

Senior Member JRthe original is on a distinguished road
    I have knocked over three staves. It is way cool to do! Safety first that means beer drinkin afterwards! But if it is a wooden silo I would wrap a cable around it and pass thru a slip . then just pull in the opposite direction you want to have it fall. In the end the side that breaks out first will be the side that it falls towards.

ANd tearing down a harvestore! Sacralige blasphemy and a pox on all those who would demolish the best feed storage system ever made! That just makes me sick!
    OH yea if the feed was in good condition you can just scoop it up with a oader and feed it. Just make sure you don't put it into a mixer wagon.

Senior Member roger7 is on a distinguished road
    A guy down by Watertown, last week was taking down a cement silo with an excavator. Didn't fall like he expected. Even though he was in the cab, rescue truck had to haul him to the hospital. You would think you could just notch em like a tree and they would go where you aim them. It's a tricky job. R7