+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Senior Member larrydc is on a distinguished road

Smile Dairy cattle prices

A friend of mine and his son sold their milking herd today at auction, very good grade cattle and popular AI sires were used. They averaged just over $2000 per head. Apparently high cull prices and better milk prices has improved the value of dairy cattle. So does this mean that our net worth has jumped? LOL
    Larry

Senior Member dairyfarmmn is on a distinguished road
    Did you behave yourself today? Or did Pete have to put you in a headlock? Hope you didn't have a "a ha" moment. LOL

nodaddy
    larry, well, when you can get $1,300 for a big-a$$ cull, $2,000 sounds cheap. But it's still a good time to sell out.

Senior Member larrydc is on a distinguished road
    Pete wouldn't let me bid but he bought 6, 4 cows and 2 close heifers. Beside ours I did haul 2 loads of cows for other farmers so it was worth the trip for me.
    Larry

Senior Member Normande is on a distinguished road
    won't buy many cow with my check today a 1560lb cow brought $93.60 total, yes she was banged up and a swelled brisket. Just saying if they ain't #1's they aint worth the hauling. Got .57lb for the other cow (1270bs.)

Senior Member pldairy is on a distinguished road
    sold a high SSC cow yesterday ,and she brought $.55,she weighed in at 1575,I think I gave her away????

Senior Member PERCY is on a distinguished road
    Never know, do yah, NORMANDE; in our area, 70 cents is good. But a cripple, big knee, blowbag...they will fetch 45 to 50 cents! They say the hide is worth close to $200 alone.

Senior Member jupp is on a distinguished road
    Grant County Wisconsin on the bluffs of the Mississippi
    you guys ever consider sending your cull cows grade and yield?
    Living the High Life in WI since 1982

Junior Member LAKEMAN is on a distinguished road
    I sell my healthy culls yield and grade and normally come out ahead. A word of caution if a cow is condemned you receive nothing. That is why my thin/unthifty cows still go to the stockyard.

nodaddy
    We let our hauler make the decision whether to go grade & yield, or live. He knows the market and cows better than we do. Who knows what would have been better once you get the check. Sometimes the buyer won't take it any other way than grade & yield, if it thinks it could get condemned, or won't get up in the holding area, which has happened to us. Generally I would rather go live, in case something like that happens.