• Whole

23 26.44%
  • Rolled/processed

64 73.56%
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Junior Member Cattletrkr is on a distinguished road

Whole or rolled?

In what form do you feed your corn. We used to grind everything in a hammer mill. A few years ago we upgraded to a roller mill. I've been kicking around the idea of going to whole corn. So many studies out there and so many opinions, so little hard data. We're still in the dark ages here, no TMR for a myriad of reasons. Mostly steins on an all corn diet, some coloreds but they are on held off the full corn until 8-900lb or so. Pretty much every study I've been able to find says whole is more efficient, but every single farmer who has tried both still processes.

So, I have just one easy question. Which do you prefer and why? Not expecting "THE" answer, just hoping for valuable input.

For those feeding silage, please include whether or not you have a kernel processor.

Moderator ses is on a distinguished road ses's Avatar
    48 is the resident expert on Steins. Maybe he can step in here and make a few suggestions on what to feed Steins.

Senior Member jccwis is on a distinguished road
    North Cent. Wis. Dairy country. Around here trend is grind corn as fine as possible.Of course most of this goes in TMR. Still possible at times to see corn passing threw in manure if corn was really dry when ground, as in 2010 corn.

Senior Member glowplug is on a distinguished road
    Didn't need a kernel processor for corn silage. Planted Jungs Highly Digestible Silage varieties which have soft kernels and much better digestibility. Tons per acre increased. Milk output increased, too. Great package.

Fed ground ear corn in both dairy and steer rations. The cob portion serves as a buffer, no need to feed bicarb.

Glowplug

nodaddy
    You farmed in the 70's gp. This is the '11s.

People use shelled corn now.

They also use a kernel processor.

It's about making profits raising cattle, noclue. I'm hoping we have $9 corn when your grain booking time comes up. I'm coming to your auction. Or more correctly, the bank's foreclosure on your farm sale.

nodaddy
    Whatever, I'm not going back to ear corn for cripes sakes.

Senior Member roger7 is on a distinguished road
    Plugs right about cob corn. Cob has wonderful benefits for ruminants. Corn cob mix will replace shell corn pound for pound and maintain production. Means 15% more usable feed per acre. Industrial dairies will keep buying shell corn because that's what is available in the market. R7

nodaddy
    Well, rog, would you stick up for plug if he said growing ALL your own food in your backyard was equally preferable? Of course it is! but it's just not practical; therefore, not gonna happen.

I am shocked a guy even brings up cob corn on here. It is not available on the open market.

Again you display ignorance, noclue. Cob corn is a nice niche market. And it is great cattle feed. Over the years, it is not your gross sales that guarentee success. It is your net that is key.

Buying grain is a dairy farm model of the past. Grain will be more expensive because it will reflect higher fertilizer, diesel and land rent costs of production. That fact has nothing to do with blenders' credits, ethanol or if Captain Crunch is still available.