+ Reply to Thread
    Banned Faust100F is on a distinguished road

USDA posts best county corn and bean yields for 2010

Well . . . no county in Iowa had an average corn yield in 2010 of more than 197 bu. Sioux county in Northwest, Iowa is the best corn county, and Marshall county NE of DSM was the best soybean county. Wet weather drove yields down in Southern Iowa with some counties reporting 75 bu. average. So maybe those boys puffing up their yields to over 200 bu. or 300 bu. are blowing smoke! At 197 bu. to the acre, how many viewing this thread would be willing to write a check for $10,000 an acre for cropland? Pass the popcorn and get me another Corona. John

Green Fields: Sioux, Marshall counties lead 2010 grain yields
    9:15 PM, Mar. 5, 2011 |

Written by
    PHILIP BRASHER & DAN PILLER
    FILED UNDER
    Business
    Agriculture
    Sioux County in northwest Iowa was the top corn yield producer for the 2010 harvest, coming in at 196.5 bushels per acre, according to figures released by the U.S. Department of Agriculture.

Sioux's production was still down from 203 bushels per acre in 2009, reflecting the damage done to Iowa crops by the record rainfall in July. Statewide, the yield average dropped from 182 bushels per acre in 2009 to 165 bushels per acre in 2010 and total production fell from 2.42 billion bushels in 2009 to 2.15 billion bushels last year.

The reduced corn yields have played a significant role in the narrowing of U.S. domestic corn stocks from 1.8 billion bushels last May to around 700 million bushels by early 2011, which in turn has helped push corn prices up from $3.50 per bushel in June of last year to $7.25 per bushel in futures markets this week.

The top soybean-producing county in Iowa last year was Marshall County, with 57.4 bushels per acre. The state average of 51 bushels per acre in 2010 was unchanged from the previous year.

The damage from the July rains was heaviest to corn yields in south-central Iowa. Appanoose County saw its 2009 average of 154 bushels per acre drop to 75 in 2010. Wayne County's 144-bushel-per-acre average from 2009 dropped to 73 last year, the lowest average among Iowa's 99 counties.

Northeast Iowa escaped the July rain damage and actually increased yields in 2010. Howard and Winneshiek counties saw 20-bushel-per-acre average gains, to 191 and 190 bushels per acre, respectively.

No Iowa county averaged more than 200 bushels per acre for corn in 2010, as Carroll, Cherokee, Crawford, Plymouth, Shelby and Sioux did in 2009. Shelby saw its yields drop more than 30 bushels per acre to 171.6 bushels as a result of rains and flooding along the West Nishnabotna River last July.

Soybean yields were more consistent. Joining Marshall at 56 bushels per acre or more last year were Crawford and Sioux at 57 bushels, Clayton at 56.8 bushels, and Delaware at 56.3 bushels.

Iowa total soybean production for 2010 increased to 496.2 million bushels compared with 486 million bushels in 2009.

Senior Member ECI is on a distinguished road ECI's Avatar
    Personally John I wouldn't like to give half that amount at 200 Bu@A lol Pass the peanut's and get me another miller lite , lol Ken

Banned Faust100F is on a distinguished road
    ECI - I agree with you! This thing will soon be blowing sky high, and instead of drinking Corona, or Miller Lite, we will all be making the trip to Minnesota to buy cases of Grainbelt. That is the preferred drink for poor people. LMAO! John

Banned IA CORN FARMER is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Faust100F View Post
    ECI - I agree with you! This thing will soon be blowing sky high, and instead of drinking Corona, or Miller Lite, we will all be making the trip to Minnesota to buy cases of Grainbelt. That is the preferred drink for poor people. LMAO! John
    If Grainbelt is still 99 cents/6 pack in those dark non-returnable bottles that we paid for in high school, by me 3 cases in case the farm economy tanks.

Senior Member ECI is on a distinguished road ECI's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by IA CORN FARMER View Post
    If Grainbelt is still 99 cents/6 pack in those dark non-returnable bottles that we paid for in high school, by me 3 cases in case the farm economy tanks.
    ICF it's not a matter as IF it will , It's when it will ! I all for spliting a Trailer load with you !!!!!!!!!!!!! Just send me your address and I drop your off on my way home , lol

Quote Originally Posted by ECI View Post
    ICF it's not a matter as IF it will , It's when it will ! I all for spliting a Trailer load with you !!!!!!!!!!!!! Just send me your address and I drop your off on my way home , lol
    Maybe we have different tastebuds in Iowa, but I always thought Grainbelt was good beer. We also bought it in those paper cases with returnable bottles too. It was even cheaper that way, but you had to return the bottles and the cardboard case. I remember having those empty cases piled 5-6 high in college in my $80/month apartment. Also used the empty cases as furniture end tables. Cheap furniture, didn't look great but worked well for end tables.

Senior Member r3020 is on a distinguished road r3020's Avatar

[B]Item #15924386 Price:[B] [/B][B]$30.00 [/B][B]GRAIN BELT BEER 9 X 35 DIE CUT METAL BOTTLE SIGN - NEW
    [/B]
    [/B]
    [B][/B]
    [B]GRAIN BELT BEER 9 X 35 DIE CUT METAL BOTTLE SIGN - NEW
    [/B]

[B][/B]Measures 9.75 inches wide by 35 inches tall. Features the Golden Grain Belt Beer logo. Brewed in Minneapolis. Shaped like a bottle of beer. Two predrilled holes for easy display. New.

Hey IA, you need one of these to put on the side of your truck. Put some lettering below saying "please help the poor."

Senior Member r3020 is on a distinguished road r3020's Avatar
    Here is the poor man's drink.

Buckhorn, god I remember that beer. That is the true very poor man's drink. Even I was not that great of a fan of the taste of Buckhorn. Brings back alot of memories when I got out of the army and didn't have much money.

Junior Member Quenby is on a distinguished road
    There is no doubt that USA far more ahead in crop output yield every year but last year proved to be best for the corn.This is sole reason why food prices are under control in US as compared to the rest of the world.