+ Reply to Thread
    Senior Member linsal is on a distinguished road

Black walnut prices...

I was wondering if anyone has knowledge of current market prices of black walnut? We've got a logger in cleaning out a fenceline and taking out a humber of red oak nearby which have been infected with red oak wilt. He thinks they will bring 50 cents per board foot, but he also shared that black walnut is bringing $2 per board foot. That's the best price I've heard in quite a while? What are other people hearing? We've got a number of bw ready to be harvested. To me, it seems like a good time to do this b4 capital gains taxes go up next year. tia. P.S. We're in SW Wisconsin.

Banned Faust100F is on a distinguished road
    I was at the VA Hospital last week, and ran into a fella who made his living raising and harvesting trees. His timber was in NE Iowa but had bought a few hundred acres in Lucas County, Iowa which is mostly hills and timber.

He said that black walnut and the other hardwoods were bringing a very good price right now. But he did not indicate what they were selling for.

We have a state forester here in Ioway, if you can ever get him off his ***, to check out trees. But his office knows what the price of timber is currently. You might want to check with your state forester office and they should know about price. John

Senior Member studman is on a distinguished road

Normally I would say if your 125 miles near Chicago you have a good position to negotiate a strong price, but fence line walnuts can't be a quality hardwood, there is a great way to command quality growth of b. w. and it excludes fence lines. Are you getting 50 cent or $2 b ft or a 50/50 deal. Quality in b. w. is an essential goal in bw like veneer in b.w. hits $10 per board feet. Being in the East or near a Metro is far better than Western Iowa or Montana ! Transportation is $$$ and all mills don't pay the same. Local (homeboy) mills low ball ya because they don't know how to market products and think little to get the extra dollars out there. Quality is every thing are they at least 24 inches in diameter at DBH. i HAVE seen guys cut and haul a few logs at a time to mills and a medium trailer attached to a good P?U just to cut out sharing . L O L

Senior Member Iowa55 is on a distinguished road
    Studly is right about most of his post. Good veneer logs are $10+, the problem is most people don't know what they have. Or they hear the big $ and assume theirs is too. I had to go through 16 buyers before I found two that were not total liers, cheats, & thieves. And yes I had 50cent trees and $12 trees (per board ft).
    Just a few unless they are really something will not be easy to market. When they can come in and load semi trailer loads is when you need to be on your toes and know what you have.

Senior Member Iowa55 is on a distinguished road
    BTW, I had the state forester in our area out and he didn't know
    sh it either. He did his thing and thought I had 5 or 6 thousand dollars worth, he wasn't even close to the 5 figure check I cashed.
    Educate yourself.

Senior Member linsal is on a distinguished road
    <blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">[i]Originally posted by Iowa55[/i]
    [br]Studly is right about most of his post. Good veneer logs are $10+, the problem is most people don't know what they have. Or they hear the big $ and assume theirs is too. I had to go through 16 buyers before I found two that were not total liers, cheats, & thieves. And yes I had 50cent trees and $12 trees (per board ft).
    Just a few unless they are really something will not be easy to market. When they can come in and load semi trailer loads is when you need to be on your toes and know what you have.
    <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Thanks for the info. The logger and I have walked the woods and looked at some of the trees...he said we would have between 15 and 20 foot of veneer on a number of the trees (these aren't fenceline or yard trees)...he said they should bring $2 per b.f. (or $2000 per 1000). Now, I'm thinking that's low (the logger doesn't make that...the buyers he works with are paying that). Two buyers in the area have already expressed interest. It sounds like you have knowledge of decent buyers...care to share via PM? Our local foresters are lazier than the day is long and twice as stupid. Suffice to say, I don't trust them. I can also talk to the logger again...he's a good guy who wants to see the landowner make as much as possible (since he works on a percentage basis).

With regards to the size of the trees, I'm 6'3". I walk up to the trees that I think are large enough to be harvested; when I wrap my arms around the tree and give it a hug, my fingers don't touch...there is somewhere between 2 inches and a foot between my finger tips depending on the tree.

We're about 4 hours away from Chicago...tia...

Senior Member studman is on a distinguished road
    Sometimes the logger is in bed with a mill who lowballs but gives the logger rebates, bonuses volume (et al )and kickbacks that a logger doesn't want to disclose or share with a landowner. So guess who gets squeezed? I would try to find a mill 100 miles closer to Chicago and get a price list or find it on the internet, to compare prices. I wonder if there is a woodland journal in Wisconsin like we have in Ohio with ads and leads. Have any forest owner associations in Wisconsin? Ask a state forestor.Buy a yardstick at walMaRT. iN FACT I would retain a half day forest consultant that you can trust preferably closer to Chicago to give a low down if you plan to harvest 100 trees.The butt log brings the best price but how many logs (minimum 8 feet + 4 inches for Mill trimming ) can you realize from 1 tree. Qualty varies, more branches and non straight logs brings serious markdowns on price. Quality is very important since your not selling fiber (like pine) Getting 4-6 logs from one tree is a windfall. Get acquainted with log charts converting foot length and diameter into board feet. Remember a log is graded by diameter at the narrowest measurement of the narrowest end of the log, so avoid 16 foot logs being cut except for special situations such as tulip poulars used for framing. Remember this! Plant tree seeds / acorns a year before you cut so as to establish a root system thereby seedlings pop out immediately after cutting. Then you cut down on hickry ,aspen,cottonwood popping up. A log has a minimum 12 inch diameter measured. Also some loggers can market 6 foot b w logs . Follow a few loaded logging trucks heading towards Chicago. LOL